Saturday, October 20, 2018

BUSH DIARY SEPTEMBER 1992

BUSH DIARY SEPTEMBER 1992:

9-1-92:  53 foot female bowhead whale taken by the Captain Billy Adam's crew.

9-2-92:  Whaling crews took three more whale today.

9-3-9: Another whale.  Also the first two modules for housing were set daintily upon the foundation at the hospital compound.  There goes the fabulous sea front view.  They shipped up a big crane along with the 80 modules. 

9-4-92: Another whale, this one was big and there were only four boats available to help bring it in. all the other boats were busy cutting up the other whales.

Watched UIC swing ten modules into place and hang stringers, the view of the ocean is almost gone.

They held Cora Tiglook's funeral today. She was a little bitty elder who loved to go on the birthday show and sing "Happy Birthday" in English and then in Inupiat.  I understand that the congregation sang "Happy Birthday" At her service.

I am fighting a cold, everyone seems to have some sort of crud.

The Northern Spirit whistled past going south and got into Nome two days later.  Thence on to Antarctica.  Yikes.

The Whaling Captains have called a moratorium on whaling while the seven whales on land are still being processed.  Good idea.  Maybe someone will show up to man the phones.  Naw.

I ordered a pair of boots from Nordstrom.  They very nicely shipped them to me and I saw where the box was marked defective.  What!?  I looked them over very carefully, not a thing wrong with them.  I finally put them side by side and noted that the fur is cut slightly longer on one side.  Okay, I can live with that.

The Borough sent us all to beginning DOS to prepare for the new computers. I finally got to do a few things in Windows.   Also learned the reason that games are included in the program.  It is to get one used to using the mouse.  I saw one of the nurses really struggling with the mouse.  She was holding the mouse so tight that she was  getting muscle cramps and BLISTERS!!  I took her gently and showed her the game and she loosened up considerably, probably saved a tendon or two.

The buses have stopped making a circle in the hospital compound, too cramped for the buses to make the turn, so now we must go catch the bus a couple street corners over by AC store.

I joined a weight loss group.  Ugh

That is entirely enough from September 1992.

No comments: