Monday, October 8, 2018

ADDENDUM TO JULY AND AUGUST 1991

ADDENDUM TO JUlY and AUGUST 1991:

July 23: The Canadians are here!  Dennis Stevens one of the RN's here is a short wave radio aficionado.  He got an invite for some of the hospital folk to go visit the ship!  The invitation says dress warm and wear a swimming suit for the hot tub.  I'm taking pictures.  Went out on zodiac's to visit the Canadian Coast Guard cutter George R Pearkes.  The official name for the hot tup is hypothermia treatment chamber.  Of the 40 people on board seven are women.  They have a helicopter housed on a retractable hanger on the aft deck.  They put on a spread and provided plenty of drink.  Very hospitable folk.  I visited their stores and traded a US dollar for a Loonie, very pretty. I gave a Barrow bus token to the bartender and he was amazed that Barrow had a bus system.  I toured the engine room.  Noisy.

July 31: We had a mass casualty disaster drill.  The scenario was as follows: A boiler blew up somewhere, one man decapitated, one medevac'd to Anchorage and four admitted to the floor with various burns and fractures. We learned that when the power goes out in medical records we have no emergency lighting other than if we leave the door open and the window into the ER, through which we pass records.  So pretty hard to stumble around and find any records.  Flashlights would be helpful.  Follow up meeting decided that medical record folk would be better scribes to document treatment.  (erk).

There is a Japanese film crew here to film the Polar bear cub swim.  They were upset that the wind has blown all the ice out to sea, they wanted it to look Arctic.  So they went hunting along the coast for a stray berg.  

I received a form letter that I sent to Charles and asked him to fill it out and return it to me.
1.  Thanks for the check, keep 'em coming. (Charles writes) For now I might have a job at Novato Ford delivering parts at 7 dollars per hour.
2.  Thanks for the check, don't send any more, I have plenty.

3.  I am working at (Little Caesars at 4.25 an hour)
4.  I am not working.
5. I glued my glasses together. (smashed by car)
6.  I got new glasses, you should be getting a bill from the optometrist or Grandma D.
7.  I am applying for the Coast Guard.
8.  I am applying for food stamps.
Fill in box below:
I love you and I will tell you when to stop sending money, hopefully soon. I only work three days a week. It's not much but it a job.  My hair is short all over. Charles.


My Mom made the local paper in Emmett. The question was what would you do if you won the lottery?  "I would move."

August 30, the barge is here.  I had ordered a half case of pineapple, half case of tune, 16 large cans of new potatoes, a case of paper produces, the boxed cereal I ordered did not arrive.

I got caught up on birth certificates, Dr. Kussy approved that I go ahead and sign the BC's, we had fourteen babies in August, a dozen girls and two boys.  Sheesh!

That's it for the addenda.

No comments: