Friday, October 5, 2018

BUSH DIARY JUNE 1991

BUSH DIARY JUNE 1991:

Elaine Rockne, RRA, retired from BSU has flown to Barrow to provide a coding class to the data entry folks.  She and Judy were the professors at the Boise University Records Management program.  So it will be a fun few days. I took her to the local Bingo Parlor.  It was the first time I have ever gone.  We both won a hundred dollars on poker tabs.  Then we went to NARL for dinner and had Chicken and biscuits, chili and deliciousl corn fritters.  Yum! 

Judy had to go to Albuquerque for computer stuff for the RPMS system.  Dr. Kussy's wife Amy is working for the summer in data entry, yay us!  She will be there 100% of the time, no children issues etc.  God Bless her!

The seagulls have arrived, boy are they big, the size of small air planes.  

Patrick Pendleton is our new data entry clerk. He is a long tall drink of water from Cleveland displaced during the recession in the lower 48. He also works part time for MarkAir and gets 500 lbs free shipping and the occasional free air flight ticket.  He has two other roommates, cuz it's spendy here.

Our card embosser machine broke and had to be shipped off.  Everyone gets a card with their name, MR number, DOB etc.  Saves a lot of hand writing.  All pieces of paper get embossed with the patients name etc.  So we dragged out the old version which was not working and took the cover off and maintenance stepped back as they have zero experience with this machine.  So we collectively poked and prodded and whirled a cog or two and the thing worked! Thank you Fairy Godfather Dude!

I forgot to say that Elaine taught me to play two handed pinochle.  This will be fun to play with the folks next time I visit.

I may be attending a Trauma Registry program in Fairbanks sometime during hot weather  Ugh.  There is no AC in Fairbanks...none.  Except in your rental car.

Barrow Joke:  Three little boys are bragging about how fast their fathers are.
First little boy said, "My Daddy is so fast that by the time my Mom drives the snowmobile to the store and back, he can outrun her and be back home before she can!"

The second little boy boasted, "My Daddly is so fast that he can shoot a caribou over two miles away and he can run and catch it before it hits the ground!"
The third little boy thought a minute and said, " My Daddy works for North Slope Borough.  When he gets off work at 5 o'clock he can get home by 3:30 !!"

Something to do: Barger Order.  I sat down with Judy and another lady to get a combined order for the August Barge order.  The order mostly consists of canned good but all sorts of groceries are available.  This should be interesting.

I saw a very strange rainbow today.  The fog is out over the ocean and I saw the tippy top of a rainbow peeking above the fog.  Wish I had my camera.

Judy got a box of ear plugs from the pharmacy.  I will use them for sleep.  All of the children go 24/7 up here screaming at the top of their lungs.  No sleep for the desperate.

Finally discovered the very well kept secret on how to control the steam heat in the apartment.  In the bathroom covered by the baseboard heater cover is a little red handle that turns the heat off.  Thank you, thank you!

My fire alarm started chirping needs to have the battery replaced. 

We have a new native lady working in records.  She is already looking for a transfer to where she really wants to work, probably with a friend would be my guess.

CNN and 60 Minutes is going to come to town for Nalukitaq or blanket toss.  That should be interesting. 

Back from the Trauma workshop in Fairbanks, I was actually ill from the heat.  Hope I can remember what I am supposed to do with all that fresh knowledge.  Good to be back in Barrow away from the heat. 

That's it for June 1991.

No comments: