Wednesday, October 24, 2018

BUSH DIARY JANUARY 1993

BUSH DIARY JANUARY 1993:

We get our share of winter weather here with snow, wind etc.  However I did notice one spectacular effect one evening.  I call it "Spotlight Night".  I do not know why it happened but when conditions are just right all of the lights in town not only shine down but straight but the secondary beam goes straight up like a Hollywood film premier.  It was gorgeous, the town wore a crown of many lights that evening.

Travel:  I am leaving today for a week of sun and work in Tucson, Arizona at the IHS computer support facility.  Jeanne Cheeseman and I will be learning data entry stuff and supervisory stuff.  Judy advises me that we should pretend that we do not know one thing when we show up in class.  The instructors get flustered when the students get ahead of them.  Okay fine.  I think I can handle nodding intelligently at the appropriate places.  We will overnight in Seattle and Carla will pick us up and will let us stay at her apartment before we catch the next plane at 7 am God Bless the girl. 

My long distance romance is flourishing.  Tim is eager to meet.  So we are working on logistics etc.

Blizzard!!! a warm front blew in and it was practically pantyhose weather strangely enough.  No planes in or out, business was slow.
Back from Tucson.  No sunny weather, it rained and rained and flash flooded here and there.  Wet, wetter, wettest.

Work was pure crap, lots of people in the department out with JURY DUTY!! I went in Sunday to transcribe 7 tapes and get my trip report and paperwork taken care of.  Monday promises to be brutal.

I went shopping a bit while in Tucson.  I purchased two empty suitcase duffel bags and filled them with linens, towels, pillow cases, and other sundries not available in Barrow.  I managed to get it all wrestled into the two bags and schlepped home.  I purchased a very charming set of earrings called burden baskets.  They have little metal "bells" on them and tinkle delightfully when one tosses ones head as one must do occasionally.

The leg from Seattle to Anchorage was entertaining. There was a father daughter pair sitting in front of me who had no boundaries, dad kept flopping his arm overhead and dangling his hand in my space and the daughter chanted, "We're all going to die" on the descent into Anchorage.  Cute.

Took Markair Prudhoe to Barrow leg.  I am always astounded at how many people I recognize in the Anchorage airport who are coming from and going to Barrow.  I saw one of the nurses returning and I saw one of the former Central Supply guys going.  It is a huge state but you bump into a lot of people with whom you get acquainted.

1-22-93:  1:27 pm  First sunrise of 1993. Daylight was almost two hours long. 
Work:  The entire community has been hit with strep throat. Stop kissing and wash your hands!!! On Monday we saw 87 walk-in's by 5 pm.  The rest of the week was not much better. 

Housing: Rick and Carla have purchased a house with the idea that the garage will eventually become a photography studio.

KBRW has been broadcasting weather advisories all day warning of wind chill to minus 100.  Exposed flesh will free in less than ten seconds.

Personal news:  The public health nurses who I have seen for pap smear etc are of the opinion that I qualify for a hysterectomy and why don't I think about it for a while.  Yeah, think about it.  Bleahhhhh.

That's it for a very chilly January 1993.

No comments: