Tuesday, October 9, 2018

BUSH DIARY SEPTEMBER 1991:

I am boss for the week. Judy is in Anchorage getting computer stuff.  We have Bill Bodine onside to play with the RPMS system and the actual computer.  He has replaced a couple of boards, the floppy drive and Gawd only knows what else.  I have had to change his plane tickets three times waiting for more parts to be shipped up from Anchorage.  I think he just likes it up here. 

Judy's husband Dean was offered the supervisory position at Ipalook Elementary.  He didn't want to take it, to be responsible for 25 employees.  His boss threatened him that if he did not take the job he would be transferred to Anaktuvuk Pass for six months. Okay, taking the new job, getting a raise.  Everybody happy now?

Saw in the paper that the cruise ship Frontier Spirit had to turn back at Flaxman Island, unable to continue the Northwest Passage this year.  As compensation all of the passengers were offered a free ride through the Panama Canal and up the east coast to New Foundland.  They originally left Dutch Harbor on August 8.  The ships captain is known for daring escapades such as an unauthorized stop in Providenya, Russia. 

Today about 10 am a co-worker came into medical records and asked if we had heard that ERA and Markair are having a price war.  They are offering round trip to Anchorage for $259.00.  So I called ERA and made reservations for 12-18-91 to Anchorage and return 1-2-92.   Next I will book passage to Boise round trip.  The current round trip Barrow to Anchorage is about 650 dollars.  I had to book the flight before 8 pm and so I scurried over after work and got in line. Lots a people in line.

I heard from Charlie, he called and got me all caught up with his worrisome details.  He  is living with Grandma D for a while. He was happy not to live in Petaluma anymore.  He actually rode his bicycle from Petaluma to Novato.  I hope it wasn't on 101!!! I was painfully happy to hear from him.  Ah motherhood sucks.

9-18-91  I still do not have the correct ribbon for my Smith Corona typewriter.  So I have hand written (shudder) this few pages of the Bush Diary. Ack! 

We have a new worker in the department.  Her name is Phoonsri Charoonsophonsak.  She goes by Jessie (phew!)  She is a sweetie but needs help with English names.  She asked if "Margaret" was a man's name or a woman's name.  So sweet.

Construction is starting on the middle school near the Senior Center.  They are prepping the site and will be driving pilings into the permafrost.

Hooray for Superglue!! I took another look at my typewriter ribbon etc.  Have transplanted one plastic doohickey from an old cassette to one of the newer ones, so far it is the right doohickey that closed the circuit which allows me to type. 

I heard from Grandma Lavann she did not get a hunting tag this year but Pat got two bucks. 

Judy is going to Nashville and will be gone for three weeks. So I get to be in charge. hardy har har har.  I pray nothing breaks and no one gets sick.

Patrick Pendleton has had open heart surgery. Turns out he has Marfan's Syndrome which means he has connective tissue that blows out periodically. Unfortunately one  them was  his aorta.  So he had major surgery.  He is officially on leave until January. 

I moved the humidifier into the bedroom and cranked it up last night, much improvement of dry mouth.

Today was Ron Nalikak's last day in Er/outpatient.  He is going to manage a half way house for the borough. He is brilliant with that kind of stuff.  One of the nurses dressed up in a monkey suit (who the hell has a monkey suit in Barrow!?) and chased him around the ER department.  Have fun, Ron!!

I have decided to cut back on trips to the Post Office to Wednesday and Saturday.  I wear my Eddie Bauer backpack to hold all of the loot.  

We survived Joint Commission survey and celebrated at Pepe's !!!
Most of my time at work was CONSUMED with computer problems, either calling Anchorage and begging for help any being on the computer and "talked through landing the plane" kind of thing.  I hate programming, HATE IT.  Where is a teenager when you need them?

That is IT for September 1991.

No comments: