Thursday, October 4, 2018

BUSH DIARY FOR THE REAL MAY 1991

BUSH DIARY MAY 1991:

May 1:  Today I ate Muktuk!!!  Josie Brower brought in an assortment of delicacies from the whale that her husbands whaling crew landed.  The whale meat itself  is reddish and has a grain a whole lot like beef, very mild flavor.  The muktuk is black and the bit of fat is white, it tasted mildly  fish like. Sandra Ahmaogak brought in pickled muktuk it was quite good. I even had a piece of whale interesting, crunchy like radishes, mild flavor.  I am humbly thankful that the natives love it.

One piece of native food I will absolutely not eat is buried walrus flipper.  It is wrapped and buried traditionally in skins and gets highly stinky.  When Tupperware became available the walrus flipper became deadly and it makes really good ptomaine poisoning.  

I had to hurry up and leave on the same plane with Judy on the 2nd because it looked like everything would be fogged out.  Rush home, pack dirty clothes, forgot toothbrush, must go shopping later.  Deadhorse was fogged in, pilot tried to land three times and finally went to Fairbanks and then on to Anchorage.  I overnighted and caught flight to Seattle, Mom met me at the airport.  Got home and gabbed. 

Went with Dad on the "Bus for Fun" to Jackpot, Nevada.  Dad only got to play poker for about an hour and won 125 bucks.  I left a donation of 30 dollars to the great state of Nevada. Long bus ride home and gabby driver.

I attended the Idaho Medical Records meeting and sat next to Sylvia Edson whom I had nominated for Distinguished Member.  Surprise, I was given the award.  I was flabbergasted.  I stumbled to the front to accept the award and could only think of Grant Humprey's joke on how to make French toast.  Duh.

Flew to Seattle the 17the and spent the weekend with Carla, saw the troll under the bridge.  I purchased more gift bags with which to decorate my apartment. 

Woot:  Leaving Seattle the flight was overbooked and somehow I got on last into First Class.  That means Baily's.  Yay! The pilot took a very long time to land in Barrow, lots of flow flying looky loo's.  At last
.
I have a computer coming from Leo Jones so I purchased a computer table and had the damn heavy thing shipped to Barrow.  I tipped the heavily muscled cabbie for schlepping it up the stairs and into my apartment.  Then I put the thing together.  It will hold plants for a while.

Interesting news from work.  It seems the two night security guys were bootlegging booze right out of the hospital.  They got fired.  Many people will be sad and a tiny bit sober.

That's it for May 1991

No comments: