Sunday, October 21, 2018

BUSH DIARY OCTOBER 1992

BUSH DIARY OCTOBER 1992:

Whaling season:  Is coming to an end with a total of 17 whales hauled up and butchered on the beaches.  Polar bears can smell dead meat from a long ways off.  Ursus M is a protected species and the locals are encouraged to get their muktuk cut up and into cold cellars or mailed off to relatives.  Standing in line at the PO is very interesting when someone is mailing a package of muktuk to family in one of the villages.  

I will write more when I get back from St. Louis.  I see there is a Neiman-Marcus there. I may have to drop in to take a look at the 5k suede and mink stole. Uh huh.

I finished the local courses on Word for Windows and Excel.  I like the programs.  I don' have much use for Excel but some number cruncher will love it.

No more Pat Yer Beli Deli in Emmett.  Sherry sold off the innards as business had dropped off quite a bit.  I did like the sandwiches.

RECAP OF ST. LOUISE.  The National meetings of the American Medical Record Association last a week.  There is lots of CE programs for everyone and it is impossible to attend them all.  The social events are a great deal of fun.  The vendors put on a great spread and give away lots of goodies. 

One speaker addressed how fast things are changing.  He cited Sony who invents two things a day.  Granted some are a little looney such as the Vitamin C impregnated panty hose !?  The point is that very soon the data storage required for our industry will result in empty buildings because paper will disappear.  I should live so long.

Judy and I went to a little piano bar in the hotel where we are staying and the guys playing were so mellow and it was fun to watch a very seasoned couple dance to the music.  I purchased their CD, very nice.

Thursday Judy talked me into running away and doing some sight seeing.  We rented a car and drove to Hannibal, north of St. Louis to tour a lovely town where Mark Twain lived as a boy.  I am glad it is October and not the humid summer, as it was a very pleasant drive.  We toured his home.  And found a wonderful mansion to tour that had NOTHING to do with Mark Twain other than he was invited to dinner there one evening.  The Cliffrock House was built by a lumber baron, and I do mean big bucks.
One room had 100 a roll wall paper.  The ballroom was on the third floor and the school room was on the fourth floor.


10-24-93:  Happy Birthday Charlie! Love Mom.

In summary we obtained some worthy continuing education credits with which to maintain our national membership.  We found three malls and walked through them and found Neiman Marcus and Saks 5th Avenue.  They had hired a plumpish clerk for those of us who do not wear size zero.  Good marketing!

Plane ride home was good.  I was seated on one of the longer legs with a gentleman who was reading something and I was nosy and asked what he was reading.  It was a screen play for Childrens Theater in Seattle.  We the conversation took off. I only had to be a very good audience while this nice man waxed rhapsodic about the play, his girlfriend who getting her doctorate in Women's Studies etc.  Most enlightening.

Stopped in Seattle and Carla came to meet me during the layover and we chatted and got caught up.  That girl just LOVES drive all over Seattle.

We got to Anchorage and overnighted there. I went to my room and slept like a log.

Flew to Barrow the next and Dean met us at the Alaska Airlines terminal.  Things had been quiet in Barrow. 


Must get caught up with mail and laundry.  Yawn.

That's is for October 1992.

1 comment:

Carla said...

I think that was the time I told you about this new book that I had been reading called, "The Flamingo Papers", which oddly enough turned out to be "The Pelican Brief", Yep Ima dork!