Wednesday, October 17, 2018

BUSH DIARY MARCH 1992

BUSH DIARY MARCH 1992:

The first week of March has blown by very briskly.
I spotted an odd item. There was a recent meeting for Whaling Captains was held here in Barrow.  Apparently there was a huge ice carving of a bowhead whale.  I am thinking this carving will last well into breakup.

The Eskimo has landed.  Alaska Airlines has begun flight service to Barrow landing at ERA terminal.  I can only hope and pray that there is enough business to keep all three services in business and the cost of a round trip ticket to Anchorage to below $650.00.

For the last couple of days there has been a strange structure parked out on the ice.  It looks like a drilling rig. There are a couple of car parked out there and a tent which emit an occasional burst of steam.  Turns out it is the NAVY conducting winter diving training.  Ye Gods and Little Fishhooks !!!! 

We also have a small and dedicated group of runners who meet at Arctic Pizza and then walk, run, trot to NARL and back which is three miles, then they order pizza.  Running in a pack is a good strategy if a bear starts chasing you.  And they should take a dog along with them.

Spring has sprung in the stores. A huge supply of potted plants has arrived.  I purchased three of them and promptly repotted them.  Additional humidity is always a good idea. My basil is doing well.  I keep giving it to Glen Nishimota he is waiting for his order of lemon grass to arrive so he can make an authentic dish.  Yum!!

Poker night:  I got invited to Nurses Quarters for poke.  Bring a bag of quarters.  It was a poker night that true poker fiends would clutch their heads and moan in despair. All seven of us were armed with a list of winning hands and what various terms meant. I brought chunky salsa with fresh veg and avocado.  I cheerfully lost my 20 bucks and then won a huge pot of 40 bucks, so now I have quarters for the dryers.  Yay!!

Housing maintenance:  I called to Housing to complain that my efficiency toilet was leaking water out of the bowl, ie; not filling up to cover the flap.  This went on for some time and eventually I received a bill from Housing charging me 30 dollars to let me into my locked apartment.  Um nope.  Never happened.  Letters ensued.  
Also the strange toilet flap healed itself.  I think there was some sort of temp blockage around the flap so that it would not seal.  Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Weather was up to plus one degree today and snowed big fat snow flakes an was generally balmy.  The backdoor of the hospital was open all day to let in fresh air.

Three small housing units containing 9 apartments have been thrown up as temp housing for nursing while the build is going on. 

Thursday March 13 was VERY unpleasant.  One of the front desk phone ladies got stressed out and stomped home in the morning.  The OTHER front desk lady got stressed out and stomped home in the afternoon.  I got the duty to man the phones for the rest of the day. I hate the phones. I hate the phones. I hate the phones.  Why can't the medical record department go hide in the department up to the neck in filing and stuff, huh!?!

Friday the 14th was much better.  Everyone got over their huff and spoke pleasantly and did their jobs.  Thank you, God.  That's all I ask. 

I have sort of inherited an old Mac PC that was used on a nursing project that has since been completed.  I want to use it to do transcription for the occasional discharge summary.
  
We had a major disturbance Friday afternoon. PSO called to warn us that they were bringing in a native who was not taking his chronic meds for paranoid schizophrenia.  He was huge and pissed.  It took all of the cops to get him wrestled into a room and tranked and smiling awaiting the transfer to Alaska Psychiatric Institute in Anchorage.

Went to Glo Andrew's apartment for a trim and her husband just got in town so we lined up for general trimming.  Thanks Glo!!!

Major renovation going on in A building. They are putting the rest of the Arctic windows in and I love them. They tilt in and when upright can be opened to swing in. Makes cleaning the glass very handy and they come with screens. 

My sister, Ellen and Leo Jones are getting married on Memorial Day weekend. She proposed, isn't that cute?  Uh because she is a leap year baby, 'k?

Hunters shot a mama polar bear and the cubs were brought to the Vet clinic.  Anyone who did not have to be somewhere went over to see the cubs.  They are on their way to the zoo in Anchorage.
  
I sent in a love lorn letter to the Ruralite with stats.  It ain't purty.

Charlie called and he has a job with the Marin County Conservation Corp.  It involves lot of work clean trails around parks and such like.  Very healthy.

I almost have the mailing label program figured out on the MAC.

Judy and Dean are leaving for two weeks at their condo at Cabo San Lucas and then a leisurely drive north.  

Just so ya know.  When Spring is sprung in Alaska not only do we have breakup which  is slushy, remember break up in Anchorage is that time of year when all the frozen spit melts.  Urg.

That's it for March 1992.

No comments: