Saturday, October 13, 2018

BUSH DIARY NOVEMBER 1991

BUSH DIARY NOVEMBER 1991:

WE ARE HIRING:  Tundra Taxi pays 100 dollars per shift plus tip.  Tips? I gotta tip!?  Ack !!! You do have to pass the drivers test and get a taxi license which are limited in Barrow, so could be a problem if you want to go independent. And then there is gas, insurance, upkeep.  Oy! and the occasional assault from someone who only wants a free ride.
  
Went to NARL for an all you can eat breakfast with Judy, 12 bucks buys cottage fries, biscuit and gravy, egg McMuffin, grapefruit and mandarin orange slices, a slice of French toast and coffee and milk.  I can't believe I ate whole thing.  Gah, if I fall down I won't be able to get back up.  Urp.

SUNSET:  For the YEAR will be on 11-19-91. One of my bus riding buddies is Inupiat from Kotzebue and she tells me the natives have evolved over thousands of years.  They sleep longer in the winter about 12 hours and sleep only about four hours in the summer.  That certainly explains all the noise.  Wonder if any anthropologists have ever done sleep studies? 

HOSPITAL NEWS;  The powers that be have posted architectural drawings of the new housing and they are beautiful.  Washer dryer each apartment except for the one bedrooms and there won't be many of those.  There will be a larger room reserved for meetings and etc.  That has been badly needed.  Since they have been planning this for ten years or better it will happen eventually.

TRAVEL;  I got an invite to Anchorage for on-site computer manager training, so after that I will be the OFFICIAL person who lands the airplane because the pilot jumped out.  My skills will most likely comprise of safely turning off the machine and safely rebooting it.  Where is a teenager when you need one, I ax you.

Gonna walk to the store for a Sunday Paper.  I really enjoy reading the Sunday Singles column.  There has been a very persistent ad from two guys looking for the perfect woman.  I sometimes wonder how that is working out? As the saying goes in Alaska, The odds are good but the goods are odd.  Yeppers.

NOON MOON:  Today we had our first noon moon. The moon is full hanging a few degrees above the horizon.  I ate lunch and watched the moon, it was huge and quite pink.

Weather report this morning officially minus 25 with wind-chill to minus 65.  I dressed  a bit more, regular pants, two pairs of sweat pants, hat, gloves, parka, books.  Wait for bus.  

Eating at the hospital.  There is a cafeteria at the hospital but they only provide meals for the patients, nurses and doctors. Everyone else must bring their own.  I like to be very chefy and make an elaborate little salad, a little luncheon plate of tamale pie and a drink.  I warm up the tamale pie in the microwave and everyone can smell it  I yam evil.

The Mayor of Barrow announced that there would be a free Thanksgiving Banquet at Pepe's.  Um, thank you but I have attended city wide celebrations before and it is an absolute mad house.  I will just eat my sammy at work.  Have fun everybody!

Odd little advertisement from my hometown news paper.  FOR SALE:  Zitzenclopper with power focus, revolving flagelate and completely overhauled.  Uplo and falox included if desired.  Must sell.  Makes a great Christmas gift. P.O. Box 577 Emmett, Idaho 83617.  Some Germanic person will tell me what it is at some point. Ya.

Judy and I went to go visit the "Ivory Lady"  There were wonderful carvings. I purchased a polar bear sitting up with one paw raised.  Perhaps dreaming of a nice meal of seal.  

Met Glen Nishimoto the new Lab person.  He is a funny guy.  Somehow the subject of odd lab tests came up.  He said while he was working in southern Arizona he had someone ask to have his blood tested as he wanted his aura adjusted.   Um......sorry the sample was too small and we are out of reagents.  Glen asked him much he paid to have his aura adjusted.  $400.00.  So nice to see that we don't have all the weird people living in Barrow. 

Thanksgiving week: we ate, we slept, we ate again.  Burp.  Dinner at NARL consisted of baked salmon with Hollandaise sauce, turkey, rare roast beef and all the wonderful dishes to go with.  Somebody get a skip loader, I can't get up.

Next week I go to Anchorage for computer stuff.  Yay, me.
That's it for November 1991.

No comments: