Saturday, November 24, 2018

WEDDINGS:

Ye Gods and Little Fishhooks:

Weddings are expensive these days.  I have been watching a show called "Four Weddings"  Four brides attend each other's wedding and vote for best wedding.  The cameras follow them around from venue to venue and they vote on camera on the venue and the bridal gown.  The winning couple get a fabulous honeymoon somewhere.

In the meantime I am appalled at the expense and thinking these young ladies need to have indulgent daddy's who don't mind spending anywhere from 15k to 70k on the shindig.

I am thinking of the simplicity of my two weddings.  I would love to have had a cocktail hour or open bar.  The full dinner was nice.  The decorations were varied.  There were disc jockeys and bands.  The ceremonies had only a few fails, noisy trains, officiant overly involved, children running amok during the ceremony but nothing fatal.

As it was, my first wedding was largely hand made.  My Mom sewed my wedding dress.  It was a simple sleeveless satin sheath with a lace overlay.  Something borrowed was a girlfriends veil.  Another girlfriend  had the wedding cake done for me and she didn't let her dog eat it (old story).  I purchased a simple pair of satin heels.  I made my going away dress out of lovely blue raw silk.  Mother-in-law baked the Grooms cake which was a brown sugar thing and delish.
Grandma LaVann brought down tons of greenery from the ranch to decorate the Hall.  I don't remember what my bouquet consisted of but Helen had red waxy camellias growing in her yard but I don't think I was bold enough for that, it was probably daisies. 

My uncle Carl brought a case of wine.  Uncle Phil took pictures. Some rolls did not turn out and he wanted us to return to the church to pose for more. I reminded new husband to pay a small stipend to the priest.  

We honeymooned in a room nearby and went to the movies the next day to see "Patton"  I knew it was an Oscar winner.  I was haunted by the music.  We were married for five years and then had an amicable divorce.  I once saw a bumper sticker on the back of a Volkswagen van.  
It read "I start out slow and gradually, little by little, I die out completely."

My second wedding was even more casual.  My husband proposed in Barrow,Alaska and we had a civil ceremony in the courthouse.  This marriage has lasted quite a bit longer than the starter wedding.  We have been on a very long amicable honeymoon ever since.  Ain't romance wonderful?

No comments: