Sunday, November 11, 2018

BUSH DIARY JULY 1994

BUSH DIARY JULY 1994:

July 1: First day on the job as TDY boss lady. Went well.  We have a borough holiday.  Founders Day but we have to man medical records for walk-in and it is paid, so a little extra in el cheque.  Got the monthly reports done, got bosses reports done.

Results of trial mentioned previously.  The lady doctor was assaulted by boyfriend.  The kidnapping charge was dropped, he was found guilty of burglary.  He will get an instate stay for what ever the guidelines say for burglary, several years.  Our lady doctor is leaving.  There is no more jury duty the rest of this week. 

Judy called she forgot her radio, I will mail it to her.  A few years ago her husband won a drawing for a good sized outboard motor.  They shipped it unopened to Boise and kept it in storage.  Same motor got moved via Conex to the Kenai (pronounced keen eye, not ken doll eye) Upon opening the outboard motor they discovered that the propeller had been removed as a five finger discount.  Yeah.

Lordy!  The birth mom who had decided to adopt out the baby locally changed her mind, where was the birth
certificate.  I scurried to the Court House to fetch it back and get the changes made.  I called Juneau about it and they threatened to make me do speeches regarding documentation disasters, awful but true.  (snerk, snerk)

Quarterly Reports: Dig dig. CEO let me know that Joint Commission wanted data on three different weeks in October 93, May 94 and a week overlapping June and July.  I am thinking that a retired medical records person is requesting this as revenge of some sort. I have to do a series of hand counts in three different folders and 21 Q-man queries.  The Q-Man queries must be done carefully, the program consists of asking questions kind of like diagramming a sentence.  I get headache.

7-8 yikes, both front line phone ladies were out sick, so I played telephone operator the whole dang day!  Smile pretty please.  Lita was able to give me a break and lunch, God bless her. Sandwiched in various reports and a death certificate.  Oy! Got it signed off and trotted to the Court House by 4 pm.  An inebriated person called wanting the number to Wainwright Clinic and complained that the phone line was busy.  I told her it was busy because the clinic was faxing in their patient visits. Got a headache.  Stayed a little past 5 to enroll a tourist person to be seen in ER.  Went home, flopped a bit, went back in at 8 for the computer backup.  That was my wonderful Friday.

7-12 Still have power problem.  Came home to someone working on the problem, finally all the "it's your problem!" finger pointing ceased and we will see.  Still get a power fluctuation when running the microwave.  Well at least nothing catches fire.

We have a new doc on staff.  At some point he was horribly burned on his face.  He is entirely scarred, but he has beautiful eyes so I concentrate on that.

Arguing dream:  I dream that I was arguing with someone about whether or not my brother would do something or other.  I remember stating, "He would not do that, his IQ is 180". Um he is bright but not stratospheric. 

Ye Gods and Little Fishhooks.  All jury groups between 21 through 37 report to court 7-18. That is three days shot to heck.  I will be coming in early to get stuff done then scurry to the Court House praying for early dismissal.  Not likely.  This will be the trial for the Ipalook sisters trial.  Please not me.

During my computer back up one of the nurses saw me reading a mag.  She asked me if I played scrabble and I said yes. So she got her board and we played a lovely game.  I won 307 to 279. Good game!!

I have a Williams Sonoma pie pan and tried the recipe for onion pie.  Not bad rather quiche like with a bit of veg in it.  Crust was good.  Turned out so pretty.

Jury duty:  I was empaneled but did not panic right away.  I noticed that four white women had been bounced off the jury and looked forward to being dismissed which happened at quarter till five.  Phew trial estimated to last two weeks.  I must compliment the Fairbanks lawyers for the speedy jury selection.

Computer backup went smoothly.  I played scrabble in one of the nurses apartments.  I had to leave but they promised to tell me if I won.  Yep using the word Aztec. Proper nouns! tsk.  I love having fun when I'm not there?

Saturday: electrical guys were there moving the stove and touching stuff.  That is a no no with husband.  The circuit for TV is not working now.  Turns out they can't fix the problem and putting it out to bid.  God only know how long that will take.  Tim has jury rigged drop cords to get us some television.  Watch yer step!!

Weather report: light breezes just enough to keep the skeeters from landing.  The big ones are so slow you just simply move aside and fortunately the swarms are not large.  The roads are dry and dirty.  The road graders do go out and grade the bumps flat. Dusty, cough.  There are over 6000 tourists coming to Barrow this year.  

I purchased a Barrow promo tape done by a local cop. Very amusing.  He works the local radio station. One time a short piece involved telling the most ordered goods.  Ten most foods ordered in the bush included canned milk, mandarin oranges, pilot bread, Vienna sausages. You  push one up each nostril and play "walrus" .

Carla called to say that Keisa had died possibly of a stroke.  She had a rough life at least two disappearances from which she returned rather badly injured.  She had a hernia which bulged out rather alarmingly when she purred.  She did not like many people.  O Great Bubastis, Ancient Cat Goddess, watch over Keisa and grant her an attitude adjustment. Please.

I bet Carla didn't know that she knows at least one Yupik word.  The Yupik word for cat is Kuschka. Which is from the early Russian settlement.

One of the nurses is married to a native gentleman from Bethel.  His native name translates as "farts at the moon".  The nurse makes the most  beautiful baskets, they are made out of long grasses and she weaves patterns into them.  They are shaped like squat little apothecary jars with tight fitting lids.  When ever she brings a basket to outpatient a bidding war breaks out.  The baskets feel as smooth a silk.  I have not won any bidding wars. 

Sunday wash day. I want my own please.  Someone left a burned out thing of matches.  Not a good idea in buildings that burn so quickly.  We all have fire extinguishers. 

Recruitment: Finally got approval to place ads in national sources for Judy's job.  People ask me why I did not take Judy's job, it is salaried and does not pay over time, which I have been doing lots.  No comp time can be accumulated.  So....

Stats: Slow month. Only 29 discharges.  No babies born.  Lots of pregnant ladies delivering off slope.   Walk in was very high but not ridiculous.  Summer time.  Ahhhh.

Acquittal: The native man accused of the Ipalook sisters murder was acquitted.  Even though he confessed and later recanted.  Wow.  Very glad I wasn't on that trial. I can understand the largely native jury.  The reasoning is that even though the crime was horrific they just don't want people separated and sent away for punishment.

Summer Time and the living up here is different. G'night folks.

No comments: