Friday, November 16, 2018

BUSH DIARY DECEMBER 1994

BUSH DIARY DECEMBER 1994

12-3:  Craft Fair!!! We went to breakfast at Pepe's (North of the Border) and went to Fred Ipalook grade school for the fair. Very crowded, lots of goodies. Baleen boats and etchings, carved dolls of wood, bone and ivory.  All kinds of ivory (walrus tusk) carvings. Beaded jewelry, skin boots, fur mittens, fur caps.  There was a fair representation of non native goods as well.  Had a good time visiting.  I looked over a pair of seal skin mittens for Tim, he said no thanks. I purchased a small soap stone carving of a dancer holding to feather fans, the stone is a pale green and very pretty.  I paid less than 50 dollars which is a bargain.

12-8: Not a bad day at all.  Housing finally got it right for Monica and got her a two bedroom apartment.  NSB has a new policy about not furnishing apartments but the furniture has not run out yet so that is a problem for future renters.  So no dancing on the table, if it breaks, no replacement.

ASNA meeting this afternoon says we will get to keep our current apartments.  Phew!

Update on the dry situation:  I ran some statistics for the doc's who were interested in knowing if there was any difference in alcohol related visits to the outpatient department between October when Barrow went dry when the town was still wet and in November when dry. I fired up Qman and there was drop of 85%.  Wow.  We have always tracked ETOH related visits on the PCC but this was eye popping. I think the drinkers are hoarding their liquor.  There is some anecdotal evidence to back that up. One patient came into outpatient in ETOH withdrawal.  He complained that his family would not give him any booze. I heard that some people stocked up ahead of time so the numbers may change.

Today was a zoo at the bank.  We all got our merit raise today.  I decided to go stand in line.  There about five hundred or so NSB employees coming and going all day.
We are going to sign up with SmartPay, so we can pay our bills over the phone. Saves on postage or alternatively running around and paying in person. 

Bradford went to kitty hospital again.  He has urinary tract infection.  The Vet took some blood to check for diabetes. Oral agents don't work on cats so they have to be injected with insulin.  Huh. He goes back the 19th for more tests.

Friday 12-12: Monica and her family are here. The plane was an hour late.   They shivered a lot.  Poor things.  Got them to the Airport Inn to check in and then to Arctic Pizza for dinner.
Friday night backup:  Went in after dinner with Monica and family and used new Sony tapes. Spent an hour doing backup and played Scrabble with Lyn Kidder. Got home at midnight.  

A favorite TDY doc, Clara Steinmetz is here for three weeks.   She brought her significant other who has an advanced nursing degree.  He has a job at AC as a bagger for the three weeks.  Well no vacation for you, young man.

Social:  Hospital Christmas party is Saturday.  I will think of something for potluck and I invited Monica and her family.  I purchased a very large bag of M&M's for Tasha for a present. It is also Dr. Perez birthday and that lovely man loves a party.  I decided to make by standard banana, pineapple, marshmallow, shredded cheese salad.  It was eaten very quickly.

Monday 12-19 Schlepping Monica to Housing to pick up keys, sign all sorts of paper.   A few of their 40 boxes arrived.  Got on the waiting list for a PO Box, the list is six months long.  

Price shocker. Coffee without a meal is $2.50 and with the meal is $3.00, on no other way around.  I don't like coffee that much.

O Joy: some expletive deleted left one of the side doors open and the pipes froze. The Borough repair people came Sunday to unthaw things.

Monday 12-24 had a nice quiet Christmas.  Fixed a chicken and scalloped potatoes and peach yogurt tart.  Had plenty of other goodies from Harry and David.

Called and talked to Mom and then called Charlie.  They had Christmas in Santa Rosa with Leslies Mom, Linda.  She works in the Transamerica Pyramid building in San Francisco.  That is a TWO HOUR commute, if you are lucky and toll on Golden Gate Bridge.  Shoot me.

Tim played all day long with his radio controlled red Dodge Viper.  He keeps chasing Bradford and wearing out batteries.  Bradford is not all that terrified of the car but would love to savage it if given the opportunity.  Tim gave me a pretty wrist watch.

Traveling dream. I was part of a team flying somewhere.  The college taught nursing.  I hiked along the beach, it was summer and there was no ice.  I found a kayak and went looking for the two guys with whom I had made the trip.  I couldn't find them and figured they would turn up at the airport.   Woke up in my bed, yay the plane didn't crash.

I picked up a book from stash pile over in commons.  It was all about pioneers living in the Great Slave lake in Canada.  At one point the lady was using a dugout and she said it was so tippy she had to part her hair in the middle.  I found that amusing. 

12-30;  Tim proposed and I said yes.  Actually it went like this.  I was reading and he got down on his knees and asked me if I was ever going to ask him to marry me.  I said I wasn't that kind of girl.  Then he asked me.  So.... we went to the court house to get a license.

Housing informed me that over a period of four years I have risen to the top of the list to keep the apartment no matter where I work.  So working for ASNA will make no difference.
Plumbing.  Monica got the distinct pleasure of calling housing about the toilet backing up.  Urg. Fortunately someone showed up and fixed things.  

Missing paycheck:  Due to various delays Monica did not get a check.  I floated her a loan as long a she promised not to leave.  Poor thing is cash poor at present and couldn't get a ride from a dog sled.

Merry December everybody!

No comments: