Sunday, November 18, 2018

BUSH DIARY FEBRUARY 1995:

Feb 1:  Three babies were born while I was gone on Federal jury duty to Nome. I got caught up on five days worth of census and worked on birth certificates.  And since all the Mom's are discharged this requires telephone tag.  My fav.

 Tim showed up about a quarter to 12 to ask if I wanted to have lunch with him.  I scurried into the locker room, got on boots, coat all the arctic gear and he was waiting for me and said, um no we are eating in the commons.  Ok, gimme a minute.
 It was a pre-Valentine wedding potluck.  Yummy! Filipino food let me at it.  Lumpia, pansit, some Thai concoction from Jessie.  Lordy lordy! Someone made a delicious half chocolate, half cherry cake.  One of the ladies brought her entire collection of Valentine stuff and decorated the Christmas tree.  Housekeeping gave us a set of trivets with Alaska motif.  It was a nice long lunch hour and a lot of fun.


The weather today was chilly and very foggy.  The planes can land but we need radar to stay on the roads.  Temp has been 45 to 50 below without wind chill factor.

Carla called and has relocated to Cincinnati, Ohio.   We chatted quite a bit about the prospects available in Ohio.

Visitor at work:  Carolyn McClintock, CEO breezed through the department with a Russian lady doctor (obgyn) in tow. She smiled brightly and breezed out of the department.  I think I heard later that our one Bulgarian native and Russian speaking taxi driver interpreted for her. Ain't international relations fun?

Travel:  We are booked for trip to Idaho.  I will be attending the Idaho Medical Record meeting in Nampa.

Colorful dream:  Nice mansion.  One room was crammed with object d'art. I wondered if there was a Ming horse in the collection.  The ceramic watering can I was holding was listed and worth a mint.  It look like a Tiffany. I would love to have Louis Comfort Tiffany design such a watering can.  Then I walked into a sitting room with two or three sofas.  More wondering, more shopping.  Then I awakened.  One thing about dream shopping, it is FREE and no shipping charges.

Carla recommended Kinky Freidland's book "Elvis, Jesus and Coca-cola". There were several phrases in the book that met spit milk out your nose funny.
You lives by the watermelon, you dies by the watermelon.
What has four legs and an arm?  A pit bull.
The girl was so tall she could stand flatfooted and crap in a dump truck.
Must go familiar place.
Taking a Nixon.  (never was quite sure what this meant even used in context)
Being a perfect hostesticle.

Snerk.

Networking: Jumped through some hoops and now have computer access to ANMC system. I can look up and print health summaries. Just have to remember to log off their system.  All of the IHS hospitals and clinics in Alaska are linked on the RPMS system so out of town visits can be tracked, which is a good thing as everybody and their dog goes EVERYWHERE in state.  So.....

A friend from Idaho, Maryann Hosier, writes that she is having a strange time on the Coastal Star.  She is working on a crab processing boat.  12 hour shifts, 24/7.  People get strange on the boats.  And they recruit everyone even homeless people living under bridges.  Two of the larger boys have adopted her and even offered her a hand gun.  awww Um, thanks, guys.

Feb 24: One of the Governor's Inaugural Balls was held in Barrow.  Tony Knowles and wife and lots of suits came to town. We elected to stay home. Did see lots of strange faces at breakfast at Pepe's.  The governor's next stop was Kotzebue, busy guy.

Driving dream. On a freeway somewhere, bumper to bumper. When I got to my destination as I entered the building someone handed me a large baby.  I asked for directions and woke up.  Oh dear dreaming of babies? NO NO NO NO NO NOPE!

After four years and two months I am finally allowed to eat lunch at the hospital. The various contracts were re-written to include employees.  Lunch is $1.50, very inexpensive.  A very good lunch from The Teriyaki House with drink plus taxi delivery is 15 bucks.

I have been asked to run for the seat of Director of AkHIMA.  Job description is vague, "give wisdom".  Hmm how could this possibly go wrong.

Hoping to lose the election.  G'night folks.

No comments: