Tuesday, November 27, 2018

ALEXA AND DENZEL WASHINGTON

I really did not mean to buy anything at all over Black Friday, or Small Business Saturday and especially not on Cyber Monday.

However, I was innocently looking at my Facebook page and there was an advertisement for a 7 inch Fire Tablet for sale at $29.99.  With Alexa.  I truly did not care about that at all.  But I thought, hmmph, why do I need a tablet?  I have two Kindles  I keep one upstairs in the bedroom and one downstairs by my comfy chair.  Uh, I read a lot. Voraciously.  So I ordered the thing.

Got an email saying it would arrive Tuesday.  Got the USP knock on the door about 11 am Monday morning.  Wow, that was fast! 

Amazon could have sent it in a padded envelope but it came in what is probably their smallest cardboard box.  Speaking of Amazon cardboard boxes.  I emailed a comment a few months back suggesting that they recycle their boxes by sending a prepaid self addressed mailing address so they could reuse their boxes.  I got a polite reply thanking me for the suggestion and was told that upon request Amazon will send a prepaid postage shipping label so that I can mail what ever to where ever.  Uh that is truly tempting.

At any rate, back to the reveal.  Opened the generously sized box and there it was inside a slim orange envelope thing.  The tablet is the same size as my small Kindle and about half the weight.  Nice.  It came with the standard power plug in and charging cord.  

It plugged it in and wandered off to do something domestic. When I was done I pushed the power button and it fired up (Hah, see what I did....fired...)  It puttered around massaging the innards and registering etc.  I had to put a few apps in which included my Kindle app.  Well what do you know I have a Kindle!!!  Yay!!!

I puttered around the finally spoke the magic words, "Alexa, what time is it?"  "2:06 pm".  Well.

I asked Alexa to play "Equalizer",  She replied here is what I have and the movie was listed on Amazon Prime.  Hmmm I just might watch that later on.

I watched Jeopardy waiting for Final Jeopardy because I was going to cheat.  The question was who wrote "Garth".  The author lived in a certain town and his younger brothers name was Jason.  I asked Alexa who wrote Garth.  She showed me Garth Brooks.  Um, pretty sure that is not right.  The answer to the question was Nathanial Hawthorne.  Hell, I even Googled it later and that source did not immediately mention it. Tough question.

After that I asked Alexa to play Equalizer.

The movie opens with along morning shot over Boston, over head shot of that lovely modern bridge that looks like a fancy harp.  Bob McCall is puttering around getting ready to go to work.  He is a very precise man.  The razor goes just so on the sink.  He hangs the dish towel just so on the edge of the sink after he washed the dishes. He is not OCD, I know it when I see it.  

Bob works at a big store similar to Lowes.  But there are way more people employed there than in any Lowes that I have ever been.  Bob is just one the guy, schlepping wood, tools, supplies.  He is also helping one of the co-workers get in shape so he can apply for the Security Officer position at the store.  He is trying to lose weight and doing training.  Bob is on the softball team.

He has dinner every night at a corner diner right out of Boulevard of Dreams.  He sits at the same spot, sets out his cutlery just so and reads his book.  He is acquainted with one of the ladies of the night.  Her name is Olena.  They chat.

One evening same place, she is summoned by her pimp and Bob walks her to the car. Two Russian guys stand by the car. One guy gives him a card and says to call him if he needs a beautiful Russian girl.  He notes the license number.

He goes to the diner the next night and learns that Olena is in ICU.  She was badly beaten.

He goes to the ICU and sits with her.  He meets one of her friends who tells him that the pimp beat her because she hit him.  This was a lesson to the other girls.

Bob goes to the Russian club into the very plush office.  There are four heavily tattooed and armed Russian thugs and Mr. Big smarming the desk.  Bob offered 9800 cash to free Olena.  Mr. Big tosses it back.  Throws in gratuitous insults.  Bob turns to leave and pauses at the door. Checks his wrist watch and murmurs "30 seconds." Opens and closes it three times and then locks the door.  He turns and assesses the situation and walks back to within reach of the thugs.  He explodes, grabs gun, shoots guy, grabs other guys knives and stabs them.  Shoots Mr. Big. Checks his watch, it has been 30 seconds. He leaves calmly.

Bigger guy flies in from Russia on behalf of the Oligarch Mr. Pushkin.  He interviews the head corrupt cop who takes him to the head of the Irish mafia.  Russian kills the mafia head.  Cop takes out two other men.  The Italians are cooperating.  

In the meantime.  The Security guard trainee did not show up for work.  Bob goes to see what is going on.  He is helping his mom repair some fire damage at the restaurant.
Next scene shows two cops shaking down Mama for protection money.  Bob records all of that and after giving them some pugilistic attention tells them to return all of the money to all of the people or that recording goes to all available media.  They comply.

Security guy gets the job! Wears new uniform.  Congratulations from all around.

The Russian guy gets info from the girl who visited Olena in ICU, he then strangles her.  He then appears at Bobs apartment posing a cop.  Bob takes Russian guys picture.

He takes a trip to visit a friend in the country.  He asks her if she recognizes the Russian's picture.  She disappears and comes back in a helicopter with some files.  The Russian guy has a file.  Pushkin has a file land the corruption is government back by some well paid politicians. 

Bob leaves with the information and prepares.  The Russians invade his apartment.  It becomes  apparent that Bob actually has two apartments and is doing surveillance from the second apartment.

Things heat up.  Bob learns that there is an oil tanker in port belong to Pushkin. He blows it up.  

The Russian takes over the store and takes the employees as hostages unless Bob shows up.  He does so, manages take them out one by one.  

At the end of the chaos he just walks off into the street.  He shows up three days later in Russia at Pushkin's home.
Pushkin offers to buy him off and that is the end of the conversation.  Bob kills him and walks out.

Closing scene is Olena catching up with Bob and she has a job and her stitches come out in a couple days.  She tells him that she found an envelope with her name on it and it had ten thousand dollars in it.  They both agreed that it was hush money.  A new start.  Bob walks home.

He was a CIA agent who escaped a grisly death to retire.

Ooh I can hardly wait for Equalizer 2.  While this was a violent film, it was measured and restrained on his part and all of the bad guys deserved what ever got handed out.


No comments: