Saturday, May 1, 2010

Two COMPLETELY unrelated topics



I plan on making Cajeta De Lecha con platano for Cinco De Mayo next week. So in preparation I googled various recipes. I could not find any Nestles product already nicely made for me. However, I did find canned goat milk, which was recommended as being an authentic ingredient for the recipe as commonly used in Mexico. I went with good old store brand canned sweetened condensed milk. I carefully removed the paper labels and washed the cans. I dragged out my slow cooker, filled it water, four cans and let it go for 8 hours on low. I have since stored the cans after cooling in the fridge. I will take a picture when I open the cans to see how caramelized it got. The slow cooker method is wonderful, no peeking into the oven to add more water to the ban marie.



The precursor to actual ground breaking for the new hospital has begun. This oil drilling rig was driven onto the lawn by remote control. A handful of men scrambled all over it assembling long drilling rod things and adding water to a slurry mixture and pounding it into the ground. Checking for soil stabilization, I'm thinking. The soil around my house is pretty saturated. The worms have finally begun to come up out of the ground. Hope nothing starts to slip slide away.

No comments: