Friday, May 7, 2010

Reading list at the moment



I currently have four books open; one I started in bed and took down stairs to read while eating breakfast and left at the desk, a second one I brought home from a book exchange with my coding buddy at work and I have to get that one finished by next Friday in order to give it back, a third one I picked up at the store today and didn't feel like waiting until I had finished the other two, and the fourth is an old favorite that I have read often enough to be able to put it back on the shelf, pull it out and open it at the page where I stopped. I feel so much better knowing that part of my short term memory is working fairly well.

Let's start with my old favorite; "Midsummer Magic" by Catherine Coulter.
Set in Lords and Ladies times, 1810-ish or so. The Viscounts father calls him to make a dying wish. The son is stunned to learn that his father vowed to a Scottish friend that his son would marry one of his three daughters. Hawk decides that even though he has a mistress in London who he has no intention of giving up, to travel to Scotland to fulfill his father's promise. The three daughters are in various stages of excitement and dismay; the eldest does not want to marry an Englisman, the two younger sisters are thrilled and prepare to flirt their way in Hawk's heart. The oldest, Frances decides to disguise herself in thick glasses, dowdy mob caps, awful clothes, terrible singing etc. Hawk meets them, envisions a life of having either one of the two younger women hanging off his arm, demanding his time and he decides he will take Frances,the dowd. Frances is not happy. She and Hawk travel to his estate. She discovers the estate is a stud and he has thoroughbreds, right up Frances alley, she is secretly thrilled with the horses, not so much with her husband. She manages to drive him off to London by being very disagreable. Eventually Hawk returns and Frances has gotten rid of her ugly clothes and is now beautiful. The story goes on well to describe how they get along as she is no longer hiding herself. Lots of sexy revenge and very witty stuff.

I am now reading Heartless by Diana Palmer. This author specializes in angry frustrated men and repressed virgins. So far this story is holding pretty true to the standard plot. Oh and I'm sure there will be a villain in there as well.

The other two books shall unfold as most do. Nighty night boys and girls.

4 comments:

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

I have most of Sabrina Jeffries' "Duke" series. Very good reading for bedtime.
Cathy

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

Checked my book collection and guess what I discovered? The series is actually by Eloisa James. I know I have read Jeffries' books too, but after awhile, I lose track of which ones I have read. I suspect Rich gets tired of finding them where ever I put them down, and away they go to the youth ranch. Anyway, the Duke series from Eloisa James are fun, and pure fantasy with alot of sexual tension. I have 5, so when you get this way, I will send them home for your book nook store. We have quite a few books set aside for you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I have complete collections of quite a few romance authors but none by Eloisa James. Look forward to coming to visit. sometime this summer, I think. haven't looked at the calendar. Should I try for Cherry Festival?
Royce

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

Come on Down!!!You are welcome any time. Just let us know in time to clean the bed off in the spare room.
Us