Friday, May 21, 2010

I have been playing with my new Book Collectors Program.



I downloaded the free trial for 100 books. The first FIFTY books I used "enter manually", I entered the very small print ISBN number, the author, the title, and there was a whole bunch of other stuff. Then I saw the "Enter Automatically" button and pressed that. Oh, the ISBN number was first then you hit the "Search" button and ALL OF THE OTHER INFORMATION about the book populates the screen. Kewl!

I can upgrade to the PRO version, it has a few bell's and whistles I can live without for the moment. I have ordered a bar code scanner to to scan the ISBN numbers and getting my collection catalogued will go much easier. Below is a picture of all the books I have entered as of today. About 200 books, I stacked them two deep on the shelves and the bottom shelf is nearly empty. I have two and a half more book shelves to go through in the bedroom then its' downstairs, but NOT until I get the bar code scanner.


2 comments:

Retro Blog said...

AH, a feeling of accomplishment!
Finished inventory of bedroom books and I have a total of 503 books now crammed into two six shelf book cases and the GOOD news is that I have a shelf and a half empty, which I will fill with the remaining Devereaux and a few others downstairs. R

Anonymous said...

I always searched for a kind of book-inventory program. Used bibliographix for a while, but I need it for citations in texts and it always was a terrible muddle. Then one fine day a computer went bang and my bibliography for my thesis was just a memory. The backup was old and on 3,5 diskettes, some of them very old with faulty sectors, forget it.

IF I ever will do serious scientific writing again I will use from the very start either openoffice (where a bibliographic database is built in) or citavi from Switzerland. These online-search things via ISBN are very useful!