Monday, May 10, 2010

Conversations in the car....



This past Saturday, as husband and I were returning from Coos Bay, I saw a dark blue car pass us and I remarked,

"Hey, there goes a Camero, Dad had a silver one with a big old hitch mounted in the back to haul his fifth wheel trailer to jobs".

Husband: "I don't think that's a Camero, but I can't remember what it is called at the moment."

Wife: "It's not a Corvette."

Husband: "It's not a Chevette."

Wife: "It's not a Cabriolet."

Husband: "It's not a Chevelle."

Wife: (by this time getting desperat) "It's not a Cadillac."

Husband: (Likewise desperate) "It's not a Caravan."

Wife: "I can't think of any other cars that start with C."

Husband: "Me either, I'm sure I will think of it after a while."

Crickets chirping.....

About 6 pm that evening husband roared into the kitchen,

"It's an El Camino!" "Yes!"

Husband: "What does 'El' mean?"

Ensued short discussion of Spanish grammar El male, La female etc.

We both feel so much better.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can be nerve whacking when one can nearly grasp it ...
nonemas - NO joke! Sic!

Anonymous said...

That's Classic, both for the car AND the conversation. :)

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

it takes a car guy to keep it close to right, the el camino in guestion was green and it was a 1969 with 305 v8 with the distinct honor of hauling a baby white face calf home from indian valley.Dad and I then traded it off for a 1972 dodge power wagon.Don't look at me like that,the only way i can remember things,is by what car or truck deal was in the works.

Later RB

Anonymous said...

Couple of things, I think Richard is COLOR BLIND, it was a Silver El Camino unless it was such a light color of green that it looked silver and I do remember hearing about the calf. Was that the one named "Baby"?

Um did you trade the calf or the green El Camino off?

I think maybe Dad may have owned TWO El Camino's one green and one silver, because he had the Silver El Camino when I was living at the house and he did haul the fifth wheel around on that thing.

Phil said...

OK my two cents, you are both right. The car was dark green and it had a silver camper shell.

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

I remember some things a little different.First I don't think Dad had two El caminos,there was a silver or gray Dodge pickup that he hauled the fifth wheel with.The trailer he had was a nice load for the pickup, it would have been too heavy for an El camino, some people would have done it anyway, but Dad was damn smart about that and a lot of other things.El Camino was traded,calf died, and no I'm not color blind.Cars,gearheads,polish,paint, the smell of new cars,have you had your seat belt on to tight, it will make your thumbs throb, bet you didn't know that.
Later RB

Anonymous said...

Here's an additional two cents. Dad did have Two El Camino crucks. One light colored and one dark.
He also had numerous other trucks during our lifetimes.

Anonymous said...

Oy! Ain't perception a wonderful thing? Swell, the consensus is to disagree. R