Friday, March 22, 2019

Today in Coquille

I was listening to NPR this morning blatting away about how grateful Israel was that Trussia tweeted US would officially recognize Israel as the rightful "owner" of the Golan Heights.  Won in the 6 Day war in 1967.  Ticked off parts of Europe and the Mideast equally.  Bidness as usual.

Which brings me to flashback to a bit of history; my own fourth degree of separation to the 6 day war.  My roommate Judy had a sister named Betty who worked in San Francisco at a tire company.  Everyday she drove her big old Pontiac from San Rafael to the City.  She parked at a nearby parking garage.  There was a small tailor shop located in the garage.  Betty would occasionally take a leather jacket or a leather purse to the little old Jewish man who owned and operated the tailor shop.  She came home on day and the little old man was so excited about the 6 day war that  he did't charge her for the repair/cleaning service.  She thought he was so cute.

Which brings me in a roundabout way to a joke.

Did you hear about the group of Rabbi's who were chatting one day and they were comparing the number of bris (ritual circumcision at 8 days).  One rabbi said that he had kept all the little bits that he had excised over the years.

"You didn't! What did you do with them?"

"I made a little coin purse." He pulled out a small cleverly sewn coin purse that irised neatly open and actually held a couple coins. 
 
They were amazed. "What good is such a little purse?"

"Oh well watch, if I give it a few rubs I get a steamer trunk!"

Regarding devices:
I have really been enjoying my Alexa.  The app just appeared on my Kindle one day and I had these powers.  I can ask for the weather, flash news briefing, question of the day.  I can ask questions such as "How many countries are in Africa? 96.  How many US states have flags?  There is only one flag the US flag of he United States.  Um thank you.  If I want to know about the states it will have to be by state.  I cannot change Alexa's name as that feature is only on Echo and I am not sure I want to yell at the TV screen any more than I do now. Also, if I have an Echo, I have to download the app to my Smart Phone, of which I do not have. I am a reluctant adopter of some new tech.  I do enjoy getting a current weather report.  Alexa told me the new Chinese restaurant was open and I didn't believe it.  I consulted a friend on line and she confirmed that the place had been open since January.  Huh.


Pretty sure someone I know and love will write and tell me that their cell phone can already do that stuff.  Well I have a wind up cell phone and can't do that advanced stuff. 

I get a little insomnia, very nice to say, "Alexa play soft jazz" and I listen to Etta James and other crooners.  Lovely.  This morning I asked to listen to Ron White and I finally had to get up in self defense I was laughing so hard.  

One last thing:  Jacinda Adern (sp) Prime  Minister of New Zealand, has acted swiftly for laws regarding banning assault weapons.  Can we get a Nobel Peace Prize nomination here?  

And a very good Friday morning to everyone else out there.

No comments: