Wednesday, March 13, 2019

COQUILLE DIARY JULY/DECEMBER 2003

COQUILLE DIARY JULY TO?  2003:

7-22:  Joyce has been off work for two weeks.  I have been up to my ears in transcription.  Yikes.

Also Mr. Z apparently feels good enough about the CVH financials that he handed out 2% retroactive raises to the department heads.  Not sure if there is non disclosure clause.  But since meals and insurance went up, we are pretty even at this point.

July 31, husband completed his fifth and final day at Grand Jury.

Monica came to visit! Actually she flew out with a team to inspect all the Coast Guard stations here in Coos Bay.  So I drove to meet her and we went out to dinner at the Portside.  The physician there with us told about his inspection tour of the South Pole. Elevation there is 9300 feet! No wonder people faint when they get off the plane. Water use is restricted to a weekly 5 minute shower.  Phewie.

Charlie is looking into buying into the Chimney Sweep business.

Book Report:  "She Who Laughs Last". By Jenny Klassel.  Very funny stuff.  Young lady has had a nasty rotten cousin take over the house and she and her brother ran away to plot revenge. Part of that was to obtain funds.  So they kidnap the prince and hold him for ransom.  It gets better. If I had been drinking milk, I would have snorted milk out of my nose.

September 13/19: Drove to Bend to get continuing education and to be secretary during the meetings.  It was boring stuff.  Haven't been able to detect much humor among this bunch.  They may still be developing a corporate culture and you CAN carry that stuff too far.

Medical: Husband got to the point of "Go see the doctor" for painful knee.  He was diagnosed with gout.  Once his meds kick in and he stays on them the condition should stay pretty well controlled.

House stuff: I did not know that someone could knock on your door and tell you that your house violates code and must be fixed within 30 days.  Huh?

Apparently the line from the power pole to the house must be covered in conduit and/or 90 degree bend going through a ledger board and the eve.  Otherwise some idiot wishing to self immolate could stand on the deck and touch the wire and expire on the spot.

Taking bids awreddy.  11-10: Marca Electric came and fixed it all.  Because they disconnected the phone lines as well my job was to call the phone people to come hook us back up.  Good to know we are up to code. We also get a 200 dollar rebate from the power company.  Bother.
I shudder to think about the things that are NOT up to code.  Ugh

11-23: 40th anniversary of assassination of JFK.  I was 16 in geometry class, it was a horrible four days.  I went to Church with Grandma Horn and by the time we got home Lee Harvey Oswald had been shot by Jack Ruby.  Yep, no conspiracies here.

We were given gift certificates for turkeys at McKay's.  Yay!  I love roasting the turkey, carving it, deboning and boiling the left overs in a huge stock pot to make turkey broth for freezing.  And I shall make the usual Thanksgiving stuff.

UPDATE ON MRS ICENOGLE  I came across another visit by the lady and her entire name is Dolly Dimple Icenogle.  I am so going to steal that name and gift it to a character in any further iterations of "Princess Giggle".  Love it.

FINDING NEMO:  Bought the DVD and enjoyed it immensely.

Giggle:  I sent her out to five publishers this year and she sailed home unpublished.  Oh well, as Dorie says, "keep swimming...keep swimming".

12-10: I went to a ORHIMA meeting in Salem and from there drove to Seattle to visit Carla and Mitch. I just love their new home.  I also love Third Place Bookstore.  I purchased "Like Water For Chocolate"  I am tring to find the recipe and then get brave enough to make Chiles in Walnut sauce.

12-20:  I got brave and tried the Chiles in Walnut sauce. I sautéed fresh ground turkey breast and onion, garlic, cumin, cinnamon, tomato sauce, slivered almonds, half cup golden raisins, two chopped apples.  Very tasty, not too sweet. Then using poblano or paseíllo chiles seeds removed boil in water five minutes.  Rinse, stuff with meat/fruit mixture.  Arrange in casserole dish, bake at 350 for 20 minutes.  Top with blenderized mixture 1 cup walnuts, 6 o cream cheese, 1/3 cup milk, add 1/4 tsp cinnamon.  Pour over chiles, top with pomegranet seeds and some cilantro leaves.  Took it to the potluck. brought home an empty dish.  I win!!!

One last piece of year end stupidity:  A woman was brought into ER witha gunshot wound to her lower jaw.  She had a toothache and for some unknown reason was tapping her tooth with a handgun.  The gun went off and the exit wound was near the carotid.  She could have seen a dentist.

That's is for the rest of 2003.
G'night folks.

No comments: