Tuesday, March 26, 2019

THE VOICE VERSIS AMERICAN IDOL

THE VOICE VS AMERICAN IDOL:

I have never watched American Idol before this season.  I have watched five or six seasons of The Voice.

I love The Voice because of the blind auditions.  The wonderful performers who are not so esthetically pleasing get a chance to perform in a situation where the judges face away from them. The judges then choose to turn based on their opinion of the person singing.  I don't know how the applicants get to that point and I would hope that the screeners would at least wear mental blindfolds to the thousands of performers.  

American Idol has three judges who fly to ten or so different cities and listen to thousands of performers.  Not many of them are unfortunate looking but a lot of them cannot sing worth a darn.  The judges certainly have a good time during all of this. 

The last couple of days I watched the Hollywood week and they churned through 154 singers and got that down to 78.  The were all pretty darn good, at this point if someone sang flat, forgot a lyric or got sick that was pretty much elimination material.  Last night there  was even a proposal.  Katy Perry cried her eyes out.  I know I misspelled her name but she was so cute.  So they divided the 78 into three groups and told one group that they were not going to Hawaii.  The other two groups will go sing there. This process seems to be speeding along fairly quickly.

Now back to The Voice.  The judges are having a good time, so far there has been one proposal and they have their teams filled up.  Duo competition is coming up and they get to steal other people who get voted off. I like the duo as the singing is darn good.  However when we get to the individual individual rounds I quickly lose interest. The numbers are wildly over produced to the point that I cannot hear the singers very clearly.  Now the judges usually wear headphones so they can hear the feed so they are able to judge.  BUT if 'merica is judging on the live program, good luck with that. 

Both programs provide and encourage access to the songs and videos so they can be enthusiastic voters.

Both programs have phone or text votes at some point.  I have no objection to that.  Especially if that support is monetized and helps out with the program etc.

Once The Voice gets into the elimination rounds I get a little bored even with other established artists filling in as the count gets lower. 

I look forward to following American Idol to see how every thing turns the first time around for me.

Also, I have taken an intense interest in these competitions mostly due to March Madness. I do not care for college B-ball.

No comments: