Thursday, December 30, 2010

WAYS TO GET RID OF ... ER UM...PREPARE LEFT OVER HAM


I cooked about an eight pound ham for Christmas....that made LOTS of left overs.  So I decided to make ham and beans; two cans of Northern white canned beans, one can golden hominy, garlic, horseradish, and a little sugar.  It warmed up nicely when I plugged in the crock pot at work and I left it in the kitchen for the evening crew and results?  Nice shiny clean crock pot to take home the next day.  Got a few compliments, from some ham and bean lovers.


Yesterday I jacked a recipe for ham salad from the net.  I went home and chopped four cups of ham, fine chopped half an onion, fine chopped three stalks of celery, chopped three hard boiled eggs. I mixed in a cup of Mayo, two extremely generous tablespoons of mustard, three generous tablespoons of sweet pickle relish, stir and serve with crackers.  Took it to work today, invited all and sundry to come have some.

Now THAT's more like it.   Got a couple rave reviews and requests for the recipe.  Happy to share. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had a smallish ham and with the leftovers and the hamhock, Mitch made white bean soup and then split pea soup, both of which I can't stand. It's a bean thing for me, there's no taste and I abhorr the texture.

We also had prime rib and with the leftovers we had several meals.

Tonight we're having some friends over and we'll have fondue in various flavors.

happy new year!

Anonymous said...

OOh I just remembered the best Shepherds pie. Helen D,my then mother-in-law had cooked a gorgeous standing rib roast. Next day or so later, left over rib roaast layer of green beans and topped with whipped taters. Delish! I would time travel just to get a helping of that. R