Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Late entry for the CVH wreath decorating contest.


The maintenance department hoisted this little gem on their door, its kind of cute.  Click to enlarge to enjoy the big boy toys.  I don't see a miniature orange Hitachi up there but it is good to set goals.



One of the surgery nurses posted a notice that she had items for her garden available to anyone who wanted anything.  I asked for sun chokes and some herbs.  She threw in some sage and rosemary.
The sun chokes are knobby tubers that are apparently flavor neutral sort of like tofu only crunchier.  I am also reliably told that sun chokes are very gassy.  I will let you know.  This evening I decided to make a gratin of potatoes and sun chokes.   I scrubbed and sliced two Russets, two large knobby sun chokes, sauteed half a chopped onion, salt, pepper, garlic, added milk, let simmer a bit.  Grated up some Gruyere cheese and had some shredded parm left over.  Throw it all in a baking dish, top with buttered bread crumbs, bake in 350 degree oven for 60 minutes it you like your veg al dente, for fork doneness go another 30 minutes.  Tastes good. 

No comments: