Friday, December 31, 2010

BEANS PART DEUX

My sister also commented that she did not like split pea soup either,it was tasteless and the texture was not so pleasant to her. 

I,too, have never been terrible enamoured of split pea soup because most of the times I have eaten it it was the consistency of wall paper paste and would serve the same purpose.  However, many years ago a good friend, May Clarke, who hailed from Florida taught me the secret of yummy split pea soup.  Chicken fat or more precisely... Schmaltz.   Chicken fat in and of itself was difficult to obtain in Emmett, Idaho unless you cooked a lot of chicken, saved the skins, rendered the fat etc.  However, Schmaltz is available online.  It is chicken fat and onions.  You saute lots of fresh parsley in the Schmaltz, add the beans, add chicken stock  and cook the beans until tender.  That, my friends, is the BEST split pea recipe. 

A nice garlic crostini would be nice to dip.  Gevalt!

1 comment:

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

When my kids were about 2,4,and 6, we got bags of split peas to make use of(amoung other stuff). The State of Idaho had them on their list of things that I should be feeding my family. WIC was there for lots of meals. To acquire the WIC checks, we were required to go to classes on how to fix nutritious meals. I remember one such class. I asked about the split peas. Couldn't tell you now (too long ago) but there was a recipe that the kids just loved. Bacon was involved and some milk. It was an actual soup, not paste-like until after dinner during clean up. Never had to call the kids for dinner when I made this. To me, this is still child abuse food. My kids used to eat all kinds of stuff I won't. Spinich, asparagas, brocholi, etc. I am a picky eater, thank God they aren't. C

And Richard Says: You never had pea soup unless it was fixed in the galley of one of Uncle Sam's finest war machines floating on the pond. They left out the bacon. You can stand a spoon up in it and pick up the whole bowl with the spoon. You didn't have to worry about spilling it. Lick it like a popsicle!