Tuesday, December 14, 2010

...and now for something different...


These are lap sponges. Or if you must use the long form, laparotomy sponges.   For instance, they are used in surgery to pack off bits and pieces of the abdomen to protect bits and pieces from being accidentally punctured during the operation.  They have a bit of metal embedded in them so that if the sponge count is wrong at the end of the procedure, they take a quick x-ray to look for the culprit left behind. When the operation is over the crew cleans and sterilizes the instruments and occasionally there are left over opened but unused packs of lap sponges.  The surgery crew hang onto these, they are worth real money...to people who clean their glasses.  I have had a couple lap sponges from WKMH days back in the 80's.  My current set are getting a little ragged.  So I begged some lap sponges from surgery a couple days ago.  Once they go through the wash they fluff up beautifully and are perfect for cleaning fine optics.  My last pair of glasses went five years without a scratch.


These are the lap sponges washed up and ready to go.  I used them daily on my glasses.  Unfortunately my new glasses won't go five years without a scratch as I performed a one point landing my face earlier this summer and got a bloody nose, black eyes, a fat lip and SCRATCHED MY NEW GLASSES!  The lap sponges are good but they do not remove scratches. 

No comments: