Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Rotary car parking

I finally googled the correct name, I was guessing Ferris wheel parking, mechanical parking.  Am I the only one who dimly remembers such a parking apparatus in downtown Boise?  I remember seeing it not too far from Louie's Gold Dragon, where we learned not to ask to use the bottles of soy sauce and NEVER asked for dessert.  We did learn how to behave.  My favorite dish from my youth at that place was the sweet and sour pork spare ribs.  Real ribs, but short, cooked in very dark sauce, fabulous. 

So back to the parking,  We have a very steep hill in the back of the hospital that will have pretty sturdy retaining type things done to it, I just think that a rotary parking system would be so cool.  Really cool.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In some older city centres here where space is sparse some mechanical systems are installed, but not with tos many cars, two or three. I once saw something in an subterranean garage with sliding metal plates on the floor. It allows to store them cars very close together and in narrow tunnel like constructions - in fact it was something like a tunnel under a steep hill. I learned later that it also was meant to be a kind of bunker, it could be converted into a protecting area.
What is it with the necks of the soy bottles? I do not understand it. Never ask for dessert - because you wait until it is offered, yes?

Anonymous said...

I come from a large family, my father would take us out for dinner most often at Louie's Golden Dragon. Chinese places do not traditionally serve desserts but we children would ask for it and Dad would always say, "Oh we'll have dessert when we go home". Which was a nice way of saving face since he would pay for the meals but not dessert. Mom was very good at making cakes and pies and jello type desserts.

And we considered Soy sauce as "bug juice" as it resembled what grasshoppers would spit out when we kept some in jars as kids.

CTboy said...

You wont believe it but I am busy designing a similar system like this. I think you are referring to the "Parkmatic" rotary car parking system. they are really cool kind of spce savers and we can also make use of these in Johannesburg as space is bocoming a real prob! did you take any photos of the contraption? if you have please send them to "tiaan.hoskin@gmail.com". cheers and happy parking!