Sunday, December 19, 2010

ANOTHER DAY...ANOTHER TURKEY


I was asked by the local Fireside group to cook the turkey this year for the evening get together.  We had fun attending the celebration the last couple years and I have a great big roasting pan, so why not?

We gathered up the turkey, the gravy, some dressing, a bowl of cranberry orange jello relish and a white elephant gift and drove to the church about 5:30 pm.  There were two long rows of tables set up.  I plugged in the crock pot full-o-turkey and helped. Husband immediately assigned himself the task of brewing multiple pots of coffee.

About 75 people attended and there were lots of children this year.  The organizers purchased a pile of gifts for the kids.  The meal consisted of turkey, ham, lots of desserts, a terrific Mexican lasagna, someone make a lovely short pasta salad with celery that was exceptionally tasty, lots of food.   Someone gave the blessing, lines formed and we ate.  Delish!  The turkey was almost gone by the time I got in line, I had cleverly visited the dessert table first. 

Then numbers were passed out and called and those who wished to participate went up to select from what looked like hundreds of wrapped packages.  I was number 18, husband was 80 (the last number called).  I selected a large flat package that turned out to be a framed W.C. Fields photo, the one of him in a top hat scowling over a poker hand.  I actually had such a poster as a young single!
Husband eventually went forward and was rewarded with a large chocolate football.  The most fun was when the person whose number was called got to either choose a gift from the table or one that had already been opened.  A few people had to give up their DVD player or chocolates.  No one wanted W.C. Fields until we were cleaning up the hall. Thank goodness.  A nice gentleman asked if he could take W.C. home, I said, "Yes, My Little Chickadee".  The gentleman was old enough to appreciate the comment.  Husband also donated his chocolate football to another guest. We tottered home by 9 pm.  Not bad.  We thought we would be there until midnight there were so many people there.  Next year, I think we need TWO turkeys.


Oh, yes as a result of cooking the turkey I got to keep the bones and simmered them into four gorgeous pans of turkey stock.  One had already been stored in the freezer.  Yay, more dressing! Or soup! Or noodles. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a very nice time. I can almost smell the turkey...I WISH I could smell the turkey, we didn't have any this year.

Anonymous said...

And what did master Mitch whip up this year...standing rib roast? Drool drool. R