Friday, October 5, 2007

Rereading books



I love reading books, one of my first books was "The Bobbsey Twins". Bert,Nan, Sally and Fred. Two sets of twins. Bert and Nan were the oldest. They had all sorts of rather gentle adventures. I remember one where they took a trip to Mexico and Bert was challenged to taste and name the ingredients of what MUST have been mole'.

I read so much as a child that in middle school I was actually banned from the school library until my grades improved. What a shocker that was. No more Glenn Balch, no Nancy Drew, no Hardy Boys.

Later on I got a City library card and the future was brilliant. The old library had a basement and I loved the place.

So, do you have a favorite book you have read so much that if interrupted ,with no page marker, you can pick up and resume at the same spot?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oddly enough I have re-read the last Harry Potter book twice. I guess I didn't want it to end.

I have a question for you, do remember a series of children books about boxcar children?

Anonymous said...

I know of the boxcar children books but never read them. I guess the closest thing to that genre would be "Little House..." books. I remember reading the first one, "Little House In The Big Woods". Ma made a straw hat for Pa by braining straw and then sewing the straw into circles and shaping it into a hat. There was another book in the Little House series that was the story about a bad winter. They lived in town and had to make logs out of paper and used the coffee grinder to grind wheat and they were down to their last few potatoes when the train finally broke through the snow to get to town. The story told of tunnels between the houses and barn the snow was so deep and looking out the second story windows over the expanse of snow. Brrrrr. Love the coast.

Anonymous said...

braiding BRAIDING!!!! Must get new trifocals. Oh bother.

Gale said...

I remember that basement, lots of good stuff to read. Then I discovered the adult section.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I did too when I was 12 or so I wanted to check out a Thorne Smith book, "Nightlife Of The Gods" and I had to have cousin Lynn Co=sign for me. The only time I had any use for that man.