Saturday, May 4, 2019

BERTHA JONES

I found a sad posting on Facebook the other morning. My sister, Ellen posted that they had lost the matriarch of the Jones family, Bertha.She was 94.  

I didn't get to know Bertha very well. But what little I know, I liked very much.  Every once in a while during one of my visits home with Mom, we ould schedule an adventure. By adventure it began with a caution from me stating that we were going to have an adventure and it might not actually be fun.

One time Mom and I drove over to visit with Bertha and it was decided that we would all go out to lunch at one of Bertha's favorite bars located in Garden City it was one of the older establishments. And the bar food, we  were assured was wonderful, especially the prawns. So off we went. We parked and strolled into a very dark bar.  We managed to find a table and eventually the wait person found us and brought menus.  It was so dark that I dug around in my purse and found a tiny flashslight and turned it on so I could actually read the menu.  Ultimately we all ordered the bar prawns and had ice tea, I think.  It was hilarious. And the prawns were tasty.  Having survived that we returned Betha to her home, chatted a bit and went home.

Mom would call Bertha every once in a while and chat about this and that. One summer it was determined that Bertha wanted to drive to Coos Bay to visit with her sister, Esther for the express purpose of canning fresh tuna.  And Mom was invited.  

I kind of got ready for a Mom visit. I took some frozen blackberries out of the freezer and prepared a blackberry cobbler.  The cobbler was almost done when they arrived. They had driven to Coos Bay to pick up Esther and then brought Mom to Coquille.

I invited the ladies in to have some blackberry cobbler and discovered to my horror that the cobbler was not cooked enough.  However the ladies gamely chewed on it thoughtfully.

The plan was that Mom would stay here and meet up in Coos Bay at Esther's house.  They were going to track down a fresh tuna. There were signs all over the water front advertsing fresh tuna.  

In the mean time Mom wanted to purchase a canner at By-Mart. Got that item tracked down. I don't think I have been back to the place since.

I think the next day was totally devoted to canning the tuna.  Mom had purchased some dainty little jars that held about one tuna fish sandwich worth of meat.  They were very cute. 

Bertha took charge of the timing and cooking routine and it was  long day before we bore off our batch of canned tuna.  

We had some left over fresh tuna and fixed that for dinner that evening. It was very tasty.  

This was a trip where Charlie decided to drive over to take Mom back to Emmett. They may have still had some items stored here I don't quite remember.

The whole experience was quite fun and I would do it again except I would actually cook the blackberry cobbler a good twenty minutes longer. 

God Bless, Bertha Jones, age 94.

No comments: