Saturday, May 25, 2019

THEM!!!


Remember that quite wonderful 1954 sci-fi classic "Them" ?  The cast is extensive starring James Arness as the investigator, Joan Weldon as the beautiful assistant, Edmund Gwen as her scientist father, James Whitmore as the police sergeant, Fess Parker was a hospital patient,  Leonard Nimoy was an Army Sargent, Dub Taylor was a railroad watchman and Dick York was a teen at a police station.  Now I have to rewatch the thing just to try to see all the characters I have missed previously.

The plot was fairly decent, strange things going on in the desert. The police sergeant investigates a store that has been broken into and all of the sugar is missing and there is a big hole in the wall.  A little girl is picked up walking down a dusty road and all she can say is "Them".  Spooky stuff and well crafted.

However, once the shaggy puppeteer giant ants show up shrieking and shaking their giant mandibles, all credibility goes out the window.  Mainly because of the inverse square law.  Basically a critter that big cannot support its own weight and should not be able to move.  Science, ain't it wunnerful.  

I believe the scientist on board concluded that the original colony of regular sized ants grew that big because of atomic testing.  Ok.

Eventually the queen popped up and the whole swarm took off and flew to Los Angeles where they hid in the Los Angeles river cement culverts and such.  Spectacular fireworks ensued and eventually the bugs were toast.  The stink of formic acid was mentioned.  James Arness and Joan Weldon kiss, I think.  The End.

We too have a THEM! problem.  Only of the much smaller variety. Sugar ants.  They certainly do enjoy sugar and a good ant trap takes care of them.  

Most of the time they are satisfied to stay outside in the ground.  But during the rainy season, (And it has been real rainy) the little buggers come a visiting.  By the thousands.  

See one, scrub, scrub, scrub, kill, kill, kill.  THEY come back, again and again.

Yesterday I scrubbed down the cupboard with first  a thorough layer of rubbing alcohol, dried that off. Next layer was 409.  So far they are discouraged.  

I have found then popping up on the screen of my Kindle and that is a problem because inside my eyeballs I see little ant like thingies all ready, can't stab my eyes, so smash ants! Kill! Kill! Kill!

It is a matter of attrition.  I have everything  and I mean Everything inside either large plastic containers or resealable plastic bags.  Not much discourages the little bastids.  If I thought there were delicious I would eat 'em. But that is a lot of work for a tiny snack.

I am hoping for some sunny days soon to lure the darned things down into the ground.  The ants go marching down, down, down etc.  No sunshine yet.  

If you see an ant crawling on me, catch it!! Puleeze.  Thanky.

No comments: