Thursday, May 23, 2019

EATING OUT LOCAL

Coquille is a smallish town, population under 5000.  The Spotted Owl is the local enemy to this logging community.   The four lumber mills gradually went out of business and there is only one left operating.  So sort of a save the trees going on.  But remember Oregon has a very vigorous replanting law that erases the clear cut logged off areas.  Those trees come back, thank God.

Coquille has a few places to go get breakfast, lunch or dinner.  Just off the highway is The Coquille Broiler.  Mighty fine burgers.  We have eaten dinner there, they severe a decent chicken fried steak.

Just around the corner on Second street is Frasier's Bakery.  It is also a restaurant.  They close by 5 but I really like their breakfast specialls and their bakery puts out a nice variety of donuts, cakes etc.  You can also get a bag of cut bread for dressing.  The stores do not carry the commercial brands of bread dressing except for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Strange.  

The Chinese place recently reopened.  Nice young couple and the lady looked started when I asked if they had char siu bao and she came back with a  package of frozen steamed pork buns. Yummy!!

There is a Mexican place on the highway and their Chicken Mole is to die for.  

Another Mexica place is the Colonial just past the Highschool.  Their daily specials run about 6 dollars.  My favorite is the chile relleno and taco combination.  Husband likes the enchilada dishes.

I was out running around yesterday; pick up a scrip at the pharmacy, shop for some healthy veggies at McCays, and lunch at the Colonial.  It was 2 pm by the time I got there and they were still busy!  That's nice, means they will stay in business.  I ordered the chile relleno and a beef taco.  I was wonderful.

As I was munching away enjoying the day and the meal.  I heard the proprietor on the phone in the background.  It gradually dawned on me that he was ordering lunch, "One sweet and sour."

Hah!  Well a person might get sick of a steady diet of really excellent Mexican food.  

Now I'm hungry, dammit!

No comments: