Tuesday, April 30, 2019

DENTAL ADVENTURE, A NEW COUSIN AND CHINA

Monday was an adventure.  I had crunched on something in my mouth which turned out to be a gold crown.  It had snapped of at the gum line and left a sharpish shard.

So I called the Dental office and they very kindly squeezed me in for a quick assessment.  Dr. Day very kindly ground off the shard so that I wouldn't savage myself.  And they made me an appointment for a couple weeks to pull or patch.  Okey dokey.

Got a phone call the next day, could I come in Monday.  sigh..
yeah I will be there.  I talked husband into taking me as I had no idea how long it would be.

In the meantime he went to a local junk store and wandered around looking for the occasional handy this or that.  Then he went to the brand new furniture store.  I may have to go check out the lamps. The lamp by my chair has seized up.  The on off switch had lodged itself into permanently off. That makes things bit darkish.

The good doctor looked me over and said that the remainder of the tooth needed to come out and he administered four or five shots.  I learned something very interesting. If you have a lovely meal before the anesthesia takes longer to process.  Hmm, wish I had known that.  I only drank a cup o mocha coffee and ate a couple small pieces of toast.  So about half way through I could feel the end of my tongue once again.  So he pumped in a few more thingies and said we could take as many breaks as I wanted.  Uh, no please hurry.  The first root felt like it took forever to leave my mouth.  Then another 30 minutes of grippy twisty etc. and the other root was taken out.  He offered antibiotics and pain killers and I refused as I had meds at home and I don't like to use a lot of pain killer type stuff any how. I was given some post op directions;  Do not chew for three days, do not use a straw, do not smoke, do not sneeze or blow your nose.  Sleep with head elevated.  

Next day, good progress.  I am eating Malt-O-Meal.  Yummy!

I got a phone call out of the blue from Patricia Marie Grogan Webster of Glendale, MO.  She had pictures of Wilma and Mom visiting in 96 and could I confirm their identities. Sure send me email.  So Patricia is 75 and I don't remember ever meeting her as we met a lot of people on the Cousins Reunion.  Not quite sure what generation we are 3rd, 4th?  

And now for China: I was listening to NPR and they were covering China's building projects in particular the silk road project.  China had also converted some of their coal fired power plants to gas.  

I was thinking, and you know that can get dangerous, how would it be if China built a high speed rail all along Mexico's northern border?  That would certainly be interesting and make the study of Mandarin much more important.  Unless of course Jeff or Mark invent the Universal Translator.

No comments: