Sunday, September 30, 2018

BUSH DIARY APRIL 1991:

APRIL 1991:

Today, April 6, 1991 Isaac Asimov died at age 72.  He wrote over 400 books.  I liked his juveniles and robot stories.  He wrote one of the funniest and lengthy puns of all time.  You will just have to look it up as resources become available.  I kept "Death Of A Foy" as an emergency back up speech for years just in case I got caught up in a situation where in I was expected to leap to my feet at a meeting and entertain.  He was interviewed once and asked what would he do if he knew he was dying, "Type faster". 

The Mayor has announced Spring Festival (Puiaggta) which means roughly lets have fun.  Blanket toss is big, tourists really should NOT attempt this, a few have wound up in the ER getting something fractured into a cast. There will be Eskimo baseball that utilized snowshoes and bats and Eskimo fry bread, fritters fried in seal oil.

There was a kerfluffle between a doctor on staff and the mayor.  The doctor objected that she did NOT serve at the mayor's pleasure.  Um nope that is in ALL of our agreements for employment.  And she was unliked by nearly 100% of the staff for many obnoxious reasons.  So she was fired.  From my viewpoint having transcribed her discharge summaries she was documenting inappropriate things and any ambulance chaser would have drooled all over the paper.

My Boss and her husband went on vacation, while they were gone their apartment flooded.  The neighbors helped clean up a lot of the flooded stuff. Ugh.  

Sam Kinison died, he was a side splittingly funny comedian.  We needs more humor.

This week has been very windy and blustery, the increasing sunshine makes for a weird adventure walking a signed birth certificate to the courthouse.  I was blown there and back. I felt so delicate.

Fall out from Judy and Dean's apartment flood.  He called BUECI to see what the water bill would be.  The flood was eleven hundred gallons at 30 cents per gallon.  Judy is a very bright girl, she actually had apartment insurance.  Phew!!!

We have eighteen hours of daylight now and rising.  Gonna need shades.

Public telephones:  All of the public phones in Barrow are coin operated. They work thusly, dial the number, WHEN someone ansers, drop in the dime.  Thats right ten cents, one tenth of a dollar. Cheapest thing you will find to do in Barrow. AND they fill up very quickly.  If you want to use it then, it kind of works when calling a cab, they know to come to the post office.  Which is pretty damn handy.

I put a lonely hearts ad in the local utility newsletter:  DWF age 44, short plump slob virgo. Like books, conversation, humor. Help! Stuck in cocooning mode.  Favorite song, "Since I Fell For You", Lennie Welch version. 

Interesting development.  Apparently there had been a borough wage freeze for the past five years.  Recently part of the budge set aside 6 million for wages and raises. My wage range has jumped to 47k to 64k.  Holy Moly.  I may have to kiss a bear and wrestle an Eskimo or maybe its the other way around.

Yesterday I went with Judy to visit a teacher friend who also carves ivory things on the side.  Judy looked over all the items and selected 700 dollars worth of things to make an absolutely gorgeous necklace.  It consists of miniature carvings of seals, walrus, wolves, whales etc.  The mini walrus actually has tusks made out of walrus hairs.  So cute.

I invited a co-worker and her daughter to my place for dinner and scrabble and Glo cut my hair.  Yay!! I made tamale pie from a recipe I got from the Anchorage Daily News.

I am on some kind of mailing list for catalogs and I get several each week.  These are really spendy ones.  Unbelievable prices.  

I have been asked to be editor of The Northline which is the Alaska Medical Record Association Newletter.  Okey dokey, I have plenty of experience doing the one for the Idaho group.  

Our fun lab guy, Glen Nishimoto is burning out from over work in the lab.  Lab techs are few and far between.  He is originally from Hawaii and has been all over the world and is anxious to continue the journey.  It won't be long I am afraid.

Got a couple nibbles from the Ruralite.  Lemme think it over.

Rodney King verdict.   Can we just get along.

No whales landed in Barrow yet.  The Whaling commission gave 50 strikes to Barrow. About 40 crews are camped out on the ice waiting for a lead to open up. 

Nursing Housing:  All of the housing that used to be the old old 1930's hospital have been either torn down or moved.  New modular housing is coming by barge and should be here in August.  The nurses have been housed in various places in the community and they seem to like being out amongst the rest of the town.

My collection of native arts is growing.  I have a hunter paddling away following the soapstone bear.  I still need something made of baleen.  Can't afford a basket those things go for about one hundred dollars per inch of diameter. Spendy!

One thing I won't be collecting are snowmobiles, motorbikes or rusted out trucks.

Fred Stout has installed the ADT program, Admission, Discharge um T I forget, but we can schedule appointments and it sort of works, Will get the kinks worked out eventually.  And Fred has returned to Los Anchorage.

Had my trip to Anchorage.  Met Mom and Dad and we went to Portage and took the train to Whittier and then took a tour past 26 glaciers, very beautiful.

I bought more gift bags which to decorate my apartment, very colorful.
I purchased a Doolittle print while in Anchorage, "Two Indian Pony's" I love it.

Got a letter from Tim Alden who lives in Pendleton, Oregon.  We will engage in communication.

I am planning a June trip with Mom and taking a long drive somewhere....

I also plan to pack light, one bag, no check in.  This time me and my clothes are having fun same time, same place. Yeah.


The dirt digging part of the new build is underway.  They lay dynamite, cover it with a heavy rope like cover and kaboom, blanket lifts up about a foot, keeps debris down.  The warning whistle is more irritating than the blast itself.

Glen Nishimoto reported that he rode with one of the whalers out to where a whale was taken by the Tukle whaling crew, a 27 footer.  He got there in time for Unaluk, fresh boiled muktuk.  He said he would not have missed it for the world.  He is also going to leave.  We will miss him.

Temp got up to 50 degrees.  It is at this temperature that mosquitos thaw, hatch what ever.  Pray for wind.

Friday May 29, 1991:  A horrible day that started out so joyfully.  One of the local crews landed a whale and most of the town turned out to help pull it up on the beach.  They attached a rope to block and tackle and two lines were manned by about 200 people.  Suddenly the O ring broke and the lines whipped into the crowd killing one native lady and Daphne Perez, Dr Perez' wife.  She worked in Billing and practically single handed started the Girl Scouts.  They were such a cute couple.  I get to do the death certificates.  Jesus.

The beautiful little snow buntings are back with their beautiful bird song. The flocks of ducks are flying around in the thousands, most interesting to watch.

That's it for April.

No comments: