Thursday, September 13, 2018

MY LOTTERY DREAM HOUSE

LOTTERY DREAM HOUSE:
Given that my chances of winning the lottery are a tad less numerous than the number of stars in the universe, I like to day dream.

First of all I would split the thing equally among my siblings, they then have the pleasure of pleasing THEIR relatives.Then take care of a couple charitable notions that I have anonymously of course.

I have long dreamed of remodeling my house.  The house was built in 1928.  Overall dimensions are 20 feet by 20 feet square and two stories tall.  There is an attic and an unfinished basement.  What!? A basement in coastal Oregon!? Yeah but with installation of French drains in front the drip leak has ceased but not before nearly 90 years had allowed for a small river system to leach into the concrete floors, quite intricate.

There is a former sunroom done on the North side of the building and repaired from an extensive leaking roof in 2010 and as a result all of the windows on the north were repaired with a solid wall of Hardy board.  Now the sunroom is storage.  There are wimpy folding doors that have failed and need to be replaced. 

I am very sure that the electric is not up to code upstairs.  There is one outlet in the north bedroom, none in the hallway, one each in the south bedrooms. The bathroom has covered lines to outlets in two places which are ugly and there is no interrupted ground circuit thingies.  Downstairs, there are no outlets in the hallway.  An electrician would have conniption fits.  If we add anything at all the panel will have to be upgraded.

The kitchen is small and has two doorways so the configuration is extremely limited.  I do not want to blow out any walls in the house. I do want new cabinets, counters with Corian counters because of ease of care.  

All of the windows need to be replaced.  

The front door needs to be replaced.  I want a larger door with side lights.

The fireplace needs to be lined with a flue and I would prefer to have a little stove on the hearth for burning paper in the mornings. 

The cooling heating unit we have needs to be upgraded.

All of the floors need to be replaced with hardwood.  

The entire house needs to be insulated.  

The bathrooms need to be updated. 

I want to have washer dryer on the bedroom level, stack unit would work well. 

I want to have a sunroom built above the storage room on the north side with access through the north bedroom.  This room could accommodate the washer dryer unit and an exercise machine.

The unused chimney that runs through the kitchen is to be removed and all levels either repaired or have an appropriate sized dumb waiter installed.

The attic would have access to the sunroom roof through the north wall. The attic needs a remodel.  I want a full dormer on the west wall with stairs to the ground from that level. The attic will be remodeled into a small efficiency apartment that includes kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, open plan as much as possible.

I want a two person elevator to all levels. 

Dining room is to have the corner unit removed and pocket doors installed if possible.  I would like all interior doors to be pocket doors with glass doors where appropriate.  There is an exterior door that needs to be converted to wall, because the exterior storage room door is less than 3 feet away.

The living room has a badly proportioned coffered ceiling.  A 6 by 12 sheet of dry wall was centered on a light fixture which could be charitably described as gold spray painted gothic, maybe. These were fastened to the ceiling with running two by fours, then trim mounted on all sides. I want the ceiling coffered equally and more crisply. I also want can lights in the ceiling.  There is an awful wooden mantle that looks like it was made from spare wood bits and it is painted with ivy.  Ick.  I want it replaced with a spare clean mantle, if there is such a thing as Swedish Modern, let it be.

Basement remodel: The stairs to the basement need to be brought to code.  The basement needs to be dug out at least three feet to provide adequate head room.

I want a wrap around all season porch on the first level.

Chimney located in kitchen needs to be disassembled and floors either repaired or a dumb waiter installed for all levels.

Roof:  Want the roof replaced with metal.

I want a garage built in the back with suitable grading for level parking.  I want to get permission from the neighbor to the north to bring his backyard up to grade level to ours and put adequate drains in the ground for run off.  

I want a deck off the back of the house.  The cement stairs on the north side need to be upgraded.  The path on the south side needs to be made slip proof.

I want to pave the entire alley way.


Landscaping:  I want the pine tree removed and the holly tree trimmed.All bushes trimmed to three feet in front.  Fencing removed and replaced as appropriate.  The front lawn is solid dandelion and needs to be replaced.  I would like to have the front yard fenced.

I want us to live in a nearby house while all of this is going on and I will have everything in the house put in storage or garbage as appropriate.  Pretty sure there will be more garbage than storage.
I will contract with Honey Do Contractors who handled the roof and building repairs in 2010.  They may have the run of the building and may elect to stay on site as appropriate.  

For the rest of the fortune allowing for the size of it, I would like to buy all of the empty buildings in town.  I would remodel them and have a couple of them become something similar to The Exploratorium.  I visited it in San Francisco many years ago.  It was a place basically of physics experiments on display and run by young people who explained all the fun stuff.  I think this would be very popular. After planning with the City the other buildings could become noncompetitive businesses.  I would improve parking here and there perhaps get some of the elevator robot parking used in high density places like in Japan.  I would buy a fleet of electric buses for town usage as well as school.  I would encourage small businesses with interest free loans. Granted it would be cheaper to tear it down and rebuild but where would be the fun of that!?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, I'm in! Carla