Wednesday, September 26, 2018

THE REST OF DECEMBER 1990

BUSH DIARY REST OF DECEMBER 1990:

I discovered that the flush water in the toilet is warm.  That makes sense, as the water, gas and sewage all go into insulated fences between all of the 12 plexes.  Phew.  The fences actually have a stile so one can climb over the fence instead of walking around.  My bosses 12-plex is just across the fence from me but I will be walking around.

Worked on a couple birth certificates with doctors signatures and now will walk them over to the Courthouse.  It is 18 above zero.  I saw someone dashing outside in a T-shirt. 

The temperature rose steadily until it hit 30 degrees above.  That is enough for snow and lots of it.  We have blizzard conditions and the buses are not running.  I have a four day weekend coming up.  Haven't had that since I worked for Fairchild Semiconductor in the 60's. 

My new Queen sized sheets arrived in the mail sent by Mom mail from Emmett.  They look so pretty.

I will spend Christmas with my boss and her husband and a teacher couple.  We will eat until onslaught of nausea, play cards, maybe watch some football.  I am taking a couple of Pumpkin pies.  The kind you can slice and hold in your hand to eat.  Yum!

TV viewing here is pretty hit and miss. TV Guide does not have a chance, so I will have to troll until I find something fun.  I have been watching movies in bits and pieces mostly the end, wait a week, watch the beginning and maybe much later, the middle.  Strange. 

First paycheck was exciting.  I didn't get one.  So boss woman jumped on the band wagon, tracked down the Mayor even and I received a check at 5 pm.  Merry Christmas!!  Note to self: Sign up for direct deposit!!!

My Idaho bills caught up with me.  Ma Bell owes me three dollars.  Wonder if I will get a check? 

Visited NARL (Naval Arctic Research Laboratory), saw some great artifacts and we had lunch.  Very good.

Fire drill at work today:  My job is load up all of the patient index file cards and microfiche and roll the cart into the lobby and wait for instructions.  If it were a real fire I would grab my coat then the other stuff.  Buildings are insulated with highly flammable liquids and if it catches on fire, it burns incredibly fast. 

Got to play pinochle at the Christmas get together.

There was a snowmobile accident.  Two guys going way too fast hit a pipe stand.  One guy got a broken arm and was medevaced to Anchorage.

I have added some pots for plants and put some seeds in. Plants do not get shipped in her, because they freeze by the time they get off loaded and delivered to somewhere even approaching warm.  If someone likes you they will give you their plants when they move. 
I found a cache of books in nurses quarters.  Yay me!  I shall read some of them very happily.

Another polar bear alert in A block.  Do not go out alone, do not go alone.  Hello, Artic Cab? Send one to A building. Latest polar bear alert.  One was shot at one of the local cemeteries.  It had dug down about four feet.  Apparently they don't use vaults up here.

Farm Report:  The parsley has sprouted.  I don't even look at lettuce at the store.

Funny at work:  I was in the department all alone.  Chaos reigned.  Walk-ins started flooding in over lunch hour and I was being called to pull medical records for their visits. At one point a voice came over the intercom and asked me to please pull patient so and so's chart.  I asked if she had the number, no.  This is Susan, remember me?  Yes I remember. I'm still new here please spell that name for me (meaning the patient). And I heard, "S. U. S. A. N."  Um no I meant the patient, followed by five minutes of giggling.
1991 should be interesting.

No comments: