Saturday, September 8, 2018

FORMAL EDUCATION

COLLEGE:

Let me see, my approach to higher education has been somewhat dilatory. I always knew where Boise Junior College was located by the Boise River across the Julia Davis Park.  I drove past it dozens of times but had no close acquaintance until many years later it had become Boise State University.  

The summer I spent after graduation, I was 17 and too young to officially work.  One day I hoped on the bus to go from Petaluma to Santa Rose to visit Santa Rose Junior College.  I applied and submitted a written exam.  Only problem was transportation and the fees.  I was flat broke.  So I thought, maybe later.  Never happened.

A few months after I started work at Fairchild Semiconductor in San Rafael I decided to enroll in some classes at Redwood Junior College.  I looked over the stuff and decided on Astrology, Spanish and Art.

Astrology was interesting.  I really liked the idea of peering at stars through a telescope on a dark romantic evening.  Unfortunately the professor started talking about the mathematics involved in computing azimuth and zenith and other arcane terms.  My math skills were poor to phobic so I immediately dropped that class.

Spanish lasted a bit longer, I memorized lists of words, worked on my Castilian accent but never got to conversational stage.  Dropped that class.

Art:  Much better.  I loved it.  First project was clay sculpture.  My sculpture was a figure of a man swan diving downward.  One of the classmates looked over and sniffed, "Oh how cute, a phallic symbole!".  Er whut?  Next projects involved quarter inch copper wire being spot welded and then being covered with patient newspapers soaked in glue. I made several of these and they were universally ugly.  I wish I just kept on welding bits of copper on and that might have looked at least artsy.  I put the sculptures in the garden of the house I was renting in Novato.  I left them there when I moved out.  Hope they brought a good price as scrap metal.

Ten years later I am divorced and back in Idaho looking for a means to survive.  I took basic round peg in square hole testing at the employment service.  The sorting hat  person looked my scores over and pointed out a couple of things to think about.  I could become an OSHA inspector (almost as unpopular as game wardens), an atomic lab worker (Have to move to Idaho Falls) and medical record technician.  Um what is that I asked.  BSU had a two year associate of science degree.  I applied, qualified for BEOG and managed to get in line for a small cash bequest and I was off!  Best thing I ever did, the degree was extremely potable and paid enough to keep us above the Federal poverty level.  In 1978 Idaho that was the equivalent of comfortable. and I had no student loan debt. 

No comments: