Tuesday, September 11, 2018

JOBS

JOBS:

The first job I ever had for which I was paid hard currency was babysitting.  It seems a bit odd that Mom even let me babysit because I had three younger sisters.  

Every once in a while I would get a call from someone and away I would go for a couple bucks and a ride home.  I sat for a couple once and the wife was a teacher.  She had a bespoke (I love this word) mirror and the wood surround was covered densely with costume jewelry.  I thought it was the most original and gorgeous thing I had ever thought.  I was more popular than I would have thought, apparently the parents used their kids opinions for repeat business.  Cool. Popular teen, um did not even pay attention.

Later on in teen years, I occasionally worked for a farmer lady who wanted help with the dishes and vacuuming, one of the jobs was cleaning out the dog dish.  I determined then and there that the farmer's life was not for me, thanky.

There was also fruit picking of various crops, strawberries, cherries, prunes (yes they are called PRUNES).  I remember getting a check for 40 dollars and going shopping at JC Penney.  They had gray and dark gray and gray and black plaid reversible skirts on sale for 35 dollars, I wanted one.  Mom asked me if I was sure that I only wanted one expensive skirt.  Yep, it was the one that all the popular girls were wearing and I was going to disguise myself briefly as a popular girl.  Jeez, teenage angst
.
When I lived in Callie I worked on an assembly line in an electronics manufacture.  It paid all my bills for the time.

On my return to Idaho, I worked in the fruit sheds, then briefly in a potato processing plant.  

During college, I had a part time job at a gas station. It was perfect I didn't pump gas and I had plenty of time to study, I also was a part's runner for the gas station owners, so I would pick up parts on the return from classes in Boise and if I remember correctly I either got paid extra or got paid in gas.  Either one worked.

Also while in college, got a night shift job in the medical record department of a large hospital and at first I clerked and then I transferred to the transcription department which paid much better.
I graduated and shortly thereafter got the Directors job in my home town hospital.  That lasted about 11 years.

I got a call in 1990 from my former profession at BSU, she was employed in the hospital in Barrow, Alaska and would I like a job up there?  Uh, I knew wages were good in Alaska so I asked if a person could make living and she told me the beginning wage which was exactly DOUBLE my then current wage.  So, yard sale, sell mobile home (hah!), pack up, ship 9 boxes to Barrow (which I later learned was a record low number of boxes) and prepare 18 year old Charlie to drive the car to Callie so he could reside with his Grandma D.  Both moves went well.

In 1999 I had been in Barrow for nine years, we had purchased a house in Coquille and there was the  Y2K concern.  Civilized Armageddon was JUST AROUND THE CORNER.  So I got all organized, another HUGE yard sale, made over 800 bucks which helped the move by mail effort and flew to Coquille.

I had the promise of a job at the hospital in Coquille, but I told husband I HAD the job when in fact I only had an INTERVIEW scheduled.  I went to the interview in late December and met with the hospital administrator and the financials lady.  They offered me the job of transcriptionist and I accepted with the plan to start first work day in January.  When I came in on that Monday, the then director was off work with a badly injured ankle. She was going to be off for a couple of months, so I was offered to be working director until she returned.  At some time during that period everyone decided to make it permanent so thus it was that I directored almost immediately and apparently did a job well enough that I received a four dollar an hour raise.  They said they would have given me more but they didn't want me to make MORE than the previous directors, all two of them already working.  So I was a happy camper there until I retired.

I had a gap year in 2005 to work in Dillingham, Alaska.  The area was lovely but after a year I simply could not see myself living there long term.  So I retired in Coquille.

Now, I excel in advanced puttering. 

No comments: