Friday, January 25, 2008

VEGETARIAN MEATLOAF not the human




I have been playing with recipes again. I jacked a recipe for Vegetarian Lentil Meatloaf and assembled the majority of the ingredients.

1 1/2 cup French green lentils. McKay's only had brown lentils in 16 ounce bag. So I cooked them in a heavy pot in a quart of chicken stock until tender.

3/4 cup chopped onion. I chopped up a whole honking onion because measuring 3/4 of a cup just seems a little lame, eyeball it for cryin' in a bucket!

1/2 cup shredded carrot. See above. I chopped two carrots.

1/2 cup red bell pepper...ditto...I chopped the whole red pepper.

1/4 cup wheat germ. I tossed in half a cup because from the looks of things the recipe was super sizing on me.

1/2 cup cooked brown rice. This is where I went seriously astray. I don't have brown rice, so I browned 1/2 cup of white rice then added chicken stock until creamy like risotto. That made LOTS of rice. Did I mention super sizing?

3/4 cup bread crumbs. I had a round container already open so I dumped that in probably actually a good cup full.

1/4 cup crushed flax seed. Jeez I had to purchase this in bulk at Freddy's health food store. I got a bag full of the stuff for 88 cents, I didn't bother crushing the flax seeds as they are pretty darn small as is.

2/3 CUP egg whites. That translates to me however erroneously as TWO WHOLE EGGS!

1 (6.5 OZ) can tomato sauce. My can of tomato paste was 12 ounces and I scraped it all into the bowl.

1 tablespoon olive oil. As Rachael Ray says, dribble one trip around the bowl.

2 tsp dried thyme. Yeah did that.

Pepper and salt to taste and I added crushed garlic.

The recipe calls for whirring this stuff together in a food process (Of which I do not possess) so I just dumped it all into a bowl, stirred until well mixed, dumped into a well buttered large casserole dish and one left over 4 x 8 bread pan.

Oven 375 for 45 minutes. At 45 minutes I sprinkled shredded Parmesan on top and let it go another 10 minutes. Let cool serve. Recipe says it will serve 6.

By the time I got done ... it will serve Tim all week.

Now, That's what I'm talking about.

5 comments:

Gale said...

I remember a certain chicken heart and rice dish recipe. Now that was interesting. Just so ya know I may not always leave a comment but I do leave laughing....you are chucklious!

Uncle Spud & Aunt JoJo said...

Meat!!! Give ME MEAT!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious...

On a more carniverous note... I am currently marinating batch number 6 of my famous bul-go-gi...

Anonymous said...

sounds yummy!

Anonymous said...

ahem... that chicken hearts and rice dish was actually mistakenly based on a chicken GIZZARD dish I was served at a genuine Chinese New Years dinner years ago. The gizzards had been cooked to tenderness and were served in a dark soy sauce, delicious. As I remember I think the dog liked the chicken hearts. (smile)