Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Stereotactic core biopsy



Today I had an appointment at 9:30 a.m. at Bay Area Hospital radiology department for a stereotactic core biopsy of my right breast. Most recent mammogram showed a small cyst at 5 o'clock and upon follow up ultrasound the radiologist didn't like the way it looked so got this procedure booked. That was interesting. They have you lie down on a table that goes up and down like a car lift. There is a good sized hole that your breast goes through and then you have to lie there upwards of an hour with one arm at your side and one arm at your head. My arms were KILLING me. The nice radiologist lady said this Lidocaine might sting....didn't feel a thing. She poked, prodded, tweedled, whirred 12 samples worth and then they were done. Oh and I got a warm blankie out of the deal. Also went to room next door, after the blood had returned to my arms, for a follow up mammogram. I was VERY surprised when I said, "You don't squeeze as hard as they do at CVH". "Yeah, I've had lots of ladies tell me the same thing." GUESS where I'm getting my next mammogram?

4 comments:

Gale said...

Working on your deductible are ya? Got a cafeteria plan as well? You have some fun now! Hope everything turns out okey dokey.

Anonymous said...

Already met this years deductible with the scope 1700 bucks! Fortunately I won't have to pay much more than the pathology report and the surgeon's office, the policy here is turn in your EOM and get half off in the business office and if you work here, write it ALL off. I Love it, well except for actually having stuff DONE to oneself.

yoo hoo said...

I would take Pam Anderson's body, especially with OUT the boobs.

Glad yours are ok. :)

Anonymous said...

In regards to the mammogram technique, I totally agree that it definitely depends on where you have the exam. Quick story, I went in for my yearly just before Christmas. Had my mammo scheduled for 8:30 a.m,. and then with the GYN at 10:30 a.m. I swear to God that when he started doing the breast exam, he tried with all his might to rub off every inch of my skin. I could feel the palm of his hand all the way to my spine. Needless to say I had tears rolling down my face by the time he was done. His response, I just need to be thorough. My mammo in comparison was a cake walk....
He is a great doctor, just a bit rough.