Monday, December 3, 2018

HAPPY HANUKAH and GEORGE. H. W. BUSH

Happy Hanukah:

I haven't come to the Bush Diary where we got acquainted with a TDY Rabbi.

I do not remember the gentleman's name but he came to Barrow for a few months beginning in December.  He wore a nifty little fedora and had two locks before each ear.  He was also a D.O.  He quickly made friends. Horrified some of the nurses by having an OPEN FLAME IN A HOSPITAL. He burned a candle, perhaps eight of them for the menorah.


One day I was coming out of medical records just as he was passing and I called out, 
"Hey Rab! Happy Hanukah!"
Quick as a  whistle he turned and asked me mischievously, "What is eight great days of sex?"
I shook my nead no.
He chortled, "Hanakah Lewinsky!".
I laughed like a loon.


In memory of George. H.W. Bush I have the following more or less related things to say.  When I first came to Barrow I was impressed by all the buildings that were built on pilings.  The pilings were driven about 40 feet into the tundra. This insulated the heat from the buildings from melting into the tundra.  About the only buildings that were at ground level were the bank/courthouse and the air terminals.  Those were ground level for the skip loaders to bring in the pallets with luggage and freight.  The post office had a huge grid of metal stairs to climb up.  There was zero evidence of compliance with the American Disabilities Act.  The hospital did have a long zig zag wheel chair ramp that required lots of strong muscles or backs to actually get a chair up the ramp.  Kids loved to run up and down. I don't actually remember seeing a wheelchair patient. Ever in the nine years I lived there.

That's it for Monday December 3, 2018.

No comments: