Saturday, December 22, 2018

BUSH DIARY FEBRUARY 1997

BUSH DIARY FEBRUARY 1997:

2-13:  Woke up from busy and lengthy dream.  Travel on a ferry (how fun!) The ferry was two stories. My cabin was upstairs.  I always had trouble closing and locking the door. There were lots of passengers.  I cautioned one little boy about being careful while playing with the ship's dog, an old wrinkled blood hound.   The ferry went through some sort of canal to cross an isthmus of land in the middle of where ever. I was talking to the ship's photography and leafing through the catalog and spotted a picture of Dad!  I recognized the picture from a trip he took to Chicago.  I asked the photographer for a copy and then I woke up.

Busted:  2-14:  Happy Valentines Day.  All the ladies were given a lovely fresh rose from John Morrow our CEO.  Thanks John!!

Mary P our RN from OPD called in sick today.  The day progressed and one of the girls in the department told me that Mary made the local paper. Oh let me see!  She was charged with importation of alcohol! WHAT!!?? Mary is the nicest, hardest working person.  I do not know the whole story but I will bet ten bucks that the whole situation has to do with her significant other, a raging alcoholic.  She took the hit.  I hope she isn't so embarrassed that she quits her job.  What usually happens with high status locals is that they issue a public apology for not setting a good example.

Roller Rink at old Ipalook School.  With the cooperation of City of Barrow, NSB School District and North Slope Borough the old Ipalook school gymnasium has been converted to an indoor roller rink. What a great idea!! They have roller blade rentals, helmets, knee pads, elbow pads and have set times on the rink so big kids do not knock over little kids.  They had a trial run over Christmas. The skates cost three dollars and each session lasts three hours.

They started up this week and we had a rash of ER visits from kids with various roller blade injuries.  They have a music system to rock the hall and the biggest over head glitter ball for light effects.  It is going to be a very popular place.

Work week Feb 17 through 21:  We had Presidents Day off but half the crew came in to make up for lost work.  I went in to the incomplete chart count.  Our new clinical director is 100 out patient charts in arrears.  He is a nice guy but a tad arrogant and probably won't sign them.
  
Mary Jo:  Our occasionally unreliable receptionist disappeared from Barrow all this week and did not call in or has an aunt or grandmother heard from her or seen her.  I have called her number, no luck.

On Friday John Morrow called me to his office he was sitting there with the administrative assistant, Tom. They wanted to know what I was doing about Mary Jo, because people were bugging Tom about how she got to be away without penalty.  It outlined all of the steps I had taken.  I am worried that she is having a stress related absence.  A couple years ago she went to Anchorage during her high risk pregnancy.  While there she was attacked and raped. The guy got two years.  She got a notice recently that he was out of prison, she may be hiding.  I hope she is okay.  When she is on the job and healthy she is just the best.

2-24:  Mary Jo called me and resigned.  Crap.  Now I have to find someone foolish enough to want to sit at the phones and treat everyone like a Queen, King, Prince or Princess.  Crud.

John Morrow gave me a program that makes organizational charts and begged me to make one quickly for the board meeting tomorrow.  Shoot me.  It will take about a week to make a nice slick one but I cobbled together one that at least shows who reports to whom.  Gahhhhh.

One of the doctors kept waving the microphone while dictating.  My ears were getting dizzy.

There was a baby born over the weekend and I didn't get a chance to interview the Mom, so paper chase is ensuing.

I finally got the Satisfaction Survey more or less figured out on yet another computer program. Turns out the scanner still doesn't work so pretty much so had to do massive amounts of key entry.  Makes a nifty report WHEN YOU GET IT DONE.

Going Away Party:  Dr. Maria Freeman hosted a party for Glo Andrews in her apartment.  Glo stayed here to get her five years in with NSB and she leaves Friday. Her daughter married and has been living in Wasilla. Glo is eager to move there.  They both own property in Homer but had decided to sell it for a tidy sum.  Apparently Homer is turning into the Sun Valley of Alaska.  All sorts of famous people are buying property.  The view there is the most beautiful I have ever seen.

New Pet Policy for quarters.  Starting 3-1 no pets will be allowed in quarters.  The ones already there will be grandfathered in.

Monica got hired!  Hooray!  She will not live in the hospital quarters because of their two cats and they will be here the end of March. I am thrilled.

Another program another day.  The head nurse asked me to tackle an organization chart for nursing.  Ok.  I shudder and shake and it looks nasty but it does work.

Weird incident report:  Carolyn was cleaning out her office in November and shared an incident report.  A few years ago, an inebriated villager decided to give himself a circumcision with his shotgun.  He didn't miss by much but bled like a stuck pig.  He shrieked, "I'm bleeding like a woman!"  The incident report written by the nurse was that she thought he was given a wrong dose of pain killer.  Like Carolyn has often said, "I could write a book!".

Got a mysterious error message, must go pretend I yam an IT professional.

G'night folks.

No comments: