Friday, December 21, 2018

BUSH DIARY JANUARY 1997

BUSH DIARY JANUARY 1997:

1-10-97:  Happy Second Year Anniversary:  Husband and I walked to the next block where the Northern Lights Restaurant is located.  I had garlic chicken and husband sawed away manfully at a well gristled steaklet.  Sadly, no left overs.   sigh...

Price shocker.  Got a notice that the washing machine tokens are going to go up in price from two dollars each to three dollars.  And the limit is 15 tokens per month.  If you need EXTRA tokens they cost $7.50 each.  That would encourage conservation of water all right.

Tweaking PC at work.  The IT guy has me hooked up to both Barrow and Anchorage so I can work in two places if I wanna.  Also got a scanner hooked up, it does pictures much better than text.

Housing is busy making arrangements for a two bedroom apartment for Monica and Tasha.  

AHIMA meeting will be in Anchorage in May, putting in my bid to attend for that week.

Book mention:  Finished reading "A Monstrous Regiment of Women" by Laurie R. King.  Her first book was "The Beekeepers Apprentice".  Sherlock meets a very young lady genius and things go from there.
  
1-22-97:  The sun officially rose above the horizon today in Barrow.  Weather man calculated the sun would be up for 29 minutes. It is overcast so we didn't see much except it cleared up enough that by 5 pm we could see a gorgeous deep blue and a great big fat full moon.

Thin walls: Somewhere in our building someone has a remote control on the same frequency as ours.  Two days in a row the unit came on by itself. Husband responded by pointing the clicker thing at the wall in an attempt to return the favor.

1-30-97:  The Great Barrow Taxi Cab Strike:  I got a call Thursday morning from Danny Abasolo one of my regular drivers at City Cab. He called to let me know no one was running this morning. Ugh.  Thanks, Danny.  I thanked him and bundled up and walked to work.  I did see a bus enroute but both times it was going the wrong way so I just kept walking.  It was only 20 below and I was well wrapped and had worked up a bit of a sweat by the time I trudged up the steps at the hospital.  The cab drivers are all upset with City Hall. The City charges each company 5000 dollars for the yearly license and each driver must take a CDL test each year and the market is saturated with cabs. There is not enough commuters to keep  50 cabs busy 24/7.  The cabs were all back on the road by the end of day.  Update:  Eskimo channel had notice that cab rides now go from 4 dollars one way to 5 dollars one way in town.  I will still get a dollar discount for work, so thanks gentleman.

I received a magnetic David and Venus with stick on clothing.  I decided to take them to work and stick them up on the metal lockers at work.  All of the ladies like to "play dolls" with the magnets. It is a lot of fun.

New Coffee House in town.  Polar Coffee Haven, just dial 852-BEAN opened this last Saturday.  It is close to the Post Office. I stopped by and picked up a large mocha with whipped cream and two almond biscotti for 7 bucks.  Watch out Starbucks!

Talked with Charlie they would love to have us come for a visit closer to Christmas to dandle baby on my knee.  Will do some travel plans.

That is all for January,  G' night folks.

No comments: