Wednesday, June 23, 2010

FINGER STEAKS




Um...are these made out of real fingers?

While in Idaho during Cherry Festival, town was impossible to drive through so we all ran away to The Triangle for dinner, one evening. I decided to have the Finger Steaks and they were delicious...even if the coating had a tendency to fall off.

I got home and decided to google a recipe for finger steaks and found one from The Torch home of the finger steak.

Recipe called for ingredients I did not have
(Of course)
Due to a sadly lacking spice cupboard I ignored the recipe
(Of course)
and used instead marjoram, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper
And I also did not have Worcestershire sauce so I substituted Soy Sauce
(..well they are both dark and salty)
Mix 1 and 1/2 cups milk with spices and 1 and 1/2 cups flour.
Mix well,into a thick batter and cool in fridge for 2 hours
(Nope I used it right away)
Cut up 3 lbs of top sirloin into fingers size bits.
Dredge in batter, cook in small batches
in 375 degree hot oil. Allow oil to come back up
to temperature between batches.
I am afraid that I didn't let the oil get hot enough, so
the batter slid right off the first batch.
The second batch fared much better.
The batter fell off quite nicely.
(Of course)

I also cooked a cauliflower bloom.
Steam one whole cauliflower for ten minutes.
Top with a mixture of bread crumbs, butter and shredded parm.
Bake in 350 oven until cheese either melts or gets brown.

Serve with finger steaks and 98 Chenin Blanc

or Grapefruit Tangerine juice. Delish!

I forgot to mention the dipping sauce, it is
supposed to be a mixture of catsup and horseradish.
I used Ranch dressing with a tablespoon of horseradish.
Tasty!

Husband manfully ate a sample and said with a
perfectly straight face that it was delicious.

Unfortunately I have about 2 lbs of uncooked
finger steaks left. So later on this week I
plan to make a very luxurious tamale pie...with OLIVES!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really, you should write a book called "Royce's sorta cook book" you crack me up

Anonymous said...

ps, I like the new book sidebar picture thingy