Saturday, June 26, 2010

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING DIFFERENT.....



During the drive home, Phil and I were discussing (politely of course I just liked the picture) the Power Ball lottery. I told him I had purchased a ticket for 20 games and would play a single number.

He said he preferred Quick Pick. Then I wondered out loud what the odds were between a Quick Pick number and my series of 20 plays with one number.

He said that my method would yield more multiple winners for the prize.

Hmmmm. Really.. I did not know that.

So today I Googled "Odds" and was given my choice of a site that tutors in probability. I asked the basic question; where the odds of winning greater with either method or purchase?

So, I got a very polite answer from the tutorial site and they wanted to tell me all about math and science and help me with my homework. I excused myself and searched again.

Next choice was a probability calculator. Calculating the odds involves having a calculator, a ticket and knowing how many tickets will sell, then you divide all of the numbers you have picked by...some damn thing.

So the argument is this, can anyone out there convince me to use a different method to select lottery numbers? Waiving all arguments against purchasing a lottery ticket in the first place.

I purchase 20 tickets using one quick pick number and then I just check the numbers on line every once in a while. So far I have hit a couple 3 and 4 dollar power balls. Not retirement worthy but something to justify firing up the computer.

PS: Phil, the Naval History book weights 7.5 lbs. Husband thinks it is heavier than a gallon of milk.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry, I am a mathematical wimp, no clue at all. All I know is that every number has the same chance to be drawn. I play Lotto here, its 7 out of 49: I have one set or "field" or bet - don't know how to call this - with numbers I always play and do two others at random. Costs 2,50 and gives the nice illusion, that "it could happen, eh?" Chances to win are something like 1 to some millions ...

Anonymous said...

Oh I agree completely that I could be struck by lightning before winning the lottery, but I am still curious about the best selection. Thanks. r

Dirty Berg said...

I would say the ultimate chance of winning would come from ultimate chance and deduction by playing the same numbers. Eventually they have to come together, whereas a random drawing reduces the "have to" of the situation.

Anonymous said...

I agree but being curious I wonder exactly much more of a chance my method is, 10%? 1% I am just guessing.