Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Silver Dagger



I am such a musical ignoramus. I have been listening to Got Radio on the net in particular Celtic music. Every once in a while I would hear this song about a silver dagger. The singer is asking her lover not to sing love songs because her mother is sleeping by her side with a silver dagger in her hand.

Hmmm. So I googled Silver Dagger Lyrics and got a nice link to Wikipedia. Jeez Silver Dagger has been around a hundred years or so. Joan Baez sang her version and here it is. You will have to make up your own tune in your head. I don't want to violate copyright laws. Go ahead be creative, plaintiff, musical and if at all possible acapella harmony wouldn't go astray.

Joan Baez version of Silver Dagger:

Don' sing love songs; you'll wake my mother

She's sleepig here, right by my side

And in her hand, a silver dagger

She says that I can't be your bride.

All men are false, says my mother
They'll tell wicked lovin' lies
The very next evening, they'll court another
Leave you alone to pine and sign.

My Daddy is a handsome devil

He's got a chain five miles long

And on every link a heart does dangle

Of another maid he's loved and wronged.

Go court another tender maiden
and hope that she will be your wife
For I've been warned and I've decided
to sleep alone all of my life.

No comments: