Friday, August 22, 2008

Fruit cocktail cake and a little history thereof



My recipe for Fruit Cocktail cake is about 40 years old. I got this when I worked for Fairchild Semiconductor,which was located near San Rafael, California in an industrial park just off Hwy 101. It was a poly cultural work force. Many of the black ladies drove over to Marin county from Contra Costa county. The oriental ladies were married to men who were stationed at the air force base just north of there not too far from Petaluma. There were potlucks and this recipe stems from one of those happy gatherings.

FRUIT COCKTAIL CAKE

1 and 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup nuts
1 can fruit cocktail and juice

Mix all ingredients well, it will be very moist. Sprinkle 1/4 cup brown sugar on top of mixture prior to putting in the oven to bake.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, if the middle still wiggles, close door to oven, turn oven off and let cake continue to cook until done. (I had to guess at this because there was no temperature or time on my little file card.)

When the cake has cooled prepare a sauce for topping the cake.

In a sauce pan, combine and melt 1/2 cup margarine or butter, I prefer butter, 1/2 cup milk, 3/4 cup sugar. Bring to boil and boil for two minutes. Pour over top of cake. I added a handful of shredded coconut at the last minute.

This tastes like one of those stick toffee puddings that you hear about. Delicious.

4 comments:

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

Richard just told me about the rum cake you sent him while he was in Viet Nam. (In between hands of poker) Sounds like we need that recipe, as it left a lasting memory. Everybody there enjoyed it.
CB

Anonymous said...

I do not have a recipe for that strangely enough, I probably used a coffee cake recipe, which I do have, and soaked the thing in a pint of rum. I may have to try that combination out and see if it works, rum and all. I have been using brandy to seaon my fruit cakes for Christmas though. R

Anonymous said...

It's like a less dense fruit cake. nummy

Anonymous said...

update: The airforce base was Hamilton AFB which has since been closed and is now probably either an industrial park or a housing development. Uncle Carl used to go there to shop at the BX or use the gym (dad went with him once to play handball) and to stay checked out in jets.

Bergies was not very far from there. That was a genuine drive in where the ladies skated out to your car after you had flashed on your head lights on the car to order. I drove home one morning after getting off night shift and ordered a burger, and left the head lights on and got a nice dead battery for my efforts. R