Friday, August 15, 2008

Black berry cobbler, the price of gas and bead work



Last evening about 8 pm in the cool cool of the evening just when color starts to disappear and the neighborhood dogs have finished their 8 o'clock bark. I walked down the newly painted deck stairs (blinding in full sunshine!) to pick about a gallon of juicy ripe seedless blackberries. The deepest color stands out at this particular time so you do not run the risk of picking unripened berries. I froze them on a cookie tray, not having quite decided what to do with them.



The next morning between washing dishes and processing a couple loads of laundry, I dug out husbands family recipe for blackberry cobbler.

2 cups of black berries (that's just plain STINGY, dump in the whole cookie sheet!)
Mix 1 cup of sugar and 1 tbsp of flour, gently mix and set aside.

Mix 1 and 1/2 cups of flour with 1/3 cup of shortening or butter (I used butter).
Mix together until butter is smaller lumps but not fully incorporated into the flour.

Add 1 cup sugar, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1 tbsp salt, 1 cup milk and 1 egg. Mix together until wet. Pour berries into baking dish. Spoon dough on top of berries. Cook in 425 degree oven 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and delicious. It actually took 35 minutes at 80 feet above sea level here. It was deeply darkly yummy upon completion. Husband prefers to top his cobbler with the family preference canned milk, um which is an acquired taste. I like mine either plain or with whipped cream.




And the price of gas continues its' schizophrenic impact upon our lives.



This is a very blurry picture (if you click on the picture you will get a larger blurry picture...) of a necklace and bracelet that my coding buddy from Roseburg made for me. Earlier in July my sister, Gale,gave me a tourquoise colored necklace that she purchase on her Mexico trip. I really liked the color but it was a very tight fit around my fat little neck. So I asked my friend to rework them into a larger piece and to please PULEEZE put on the magnet closures. And she did, I thank her, my fat little neck thanks her.

7 comments:

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

The cobbler looks wonderful!! Too bad it can't be sent by e-mail. I would order a big bowl so I could have some for later too.
CB

Anonymous said...

This all looks yummy except for the gas prices.

Gale said...

mmmmmmm berrys. The neckalace/bracelet look maaaaaaahvaleous!

FirstNations said...

I'm ganking that recipe and using it. hell yes. we have BLACKBERRIES around her, lemme tell you what. and I'm gonna COOK'EM.

wouldjou, couldjou, gimme a dingle at

redace196o@gmail.com

you have just been given an important award! (hides leg lamp)

FirstNations said...

...no, seriously, you HAVE to email me.

Jennifer said...

mmm nummy!

AuntJoJo said...

Love the bead work, even in a slightly large and blurry picture you can see what a beautiful piece of work... a talented coding buddy you have. I've seen the magnet closures advertised on TV, guessing from what you say they really do work. I wondered ;-)

The berries sound tasty, ummm and icecream... nothing here sweet to eat, we are weight watching - again.