Thursday, August 19, 2010

SUMMER CONSTRUCTION



We have hired a subcontractor to remove the siding that has failed on the weather side (south) of the house. He is taking the old stuff off and putting on new paper barrier on top of the original 1920's boards, which don't look that bad but what do I know about siding and is putting up something called "quicky board". I think is what I heard. Anyway it is the same stuff that went up on the house next door last summer and it looks good. We have a detail on the corners where the boards are dovetailed kind of. He has solved that problem by cutting a couple inches away on the wrap around sides and priming and painting boards to go there. He is taking the trash with him as he goes for which I am grateful. We may have to wait for some scaffolding to come available next week so he can get to the upper works. One window will have to come out in order to replace the wood around that.



Also I called our roofer guy and he said send a check for half, he will order supplies and may start late next week. So should be nice and noisy around here.

Then NEXT year I will further gut the retirement and hire someone to fix the sun room.
After 100 years, its patch patch patch.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

for all you builders out there the material going up is called "Hardi-board". Not sure if I got that spelled correctly. Scaffolding to come Saturday.

Anonymous said...

Correction:
I goodled Hardi board and it
is cement fiberboard. Well that should last a while.

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

Ever watch Holmes on Homes?

carla said...

oooo construction is a very good thing.

Retro Blog said...

Yeah I watch Holmes on Homes. I also know the subcontractor, his mamma works at the hospital I can track him down y'know?

Anonymous said...

You built something?