Thursday, August 5, 2010

BOOK REPORT



Todd McAffrey is the youngest son of Ann, writer of all things Pern. I love the Pern books. I even like the son's books. However the most recent one "Dragon Girl" consists mostly of talking heads. Lots of conversations between various raiders ie; T'bon, X'ray etc and their dragons Doodath, Flipith etc.

I was drowning in mass paragraphs of identifiers and very little plot exposition. Mostly all I got out of this book is that the young heroine, a golden queen dragon rider surrounds herself with difficult people and winds up having a threesome or a foursome when her queen rises in her first mating flight and one of the partners was in a coma for gawds sake!! Jaid Black should have been subcontracted to write the sex scenes.

Another thing that I find highly irksome is that they are having what seems to be a very high fatality rate amongst the dragons and riders during Fall, that darn thread keeps sneaking up on these dummies who were designed and trained to fight thread not get eaten by it! No fix has been suggested in this book except that the queens must rise more often and lay more eggs.

I will somewhat warily keep an eye out for the next Dragon rider book but I don't expect much. There is one character that is destined to reappear in a future book but I am uncertain which volume.

I could just go smack somebody.

No comments: