Saturday, August 7, 2010

SATURDAY LEFT OVER CASSEROLE AND A PARTIAL BOOK REPORT.



Having dutifully consumed the chicken pot pie, it was time to roam through the freezer and cupboards gathering ingredients for left over casserole.

Hmm, a bundle of three bags of frozen turkey stock. Must thaw carefully. One bag of frozen left over bread crumbs. One bag of left over shredded frozen new potatoes. Hmmm



One thawed bag of turkey stock and one chopped white onion simmer until melted.



Use largest mixing bowl for bag of left over bread crumbs, try to bash into slightly smaller pieces. Open can of whole pitted olives and carefully halve them, automatic pitting machines can miss now and then. Open and drain one can whole corn. Mix in two beaten eggs, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano, garlic, dill, celery seed. Mix with Grandma Horn's heavy duty wooden spoon, one that was most often used to stir lemonade. Don't forget the melted half cube of butter.



Pour on top of the shredded potatoes, pat smooth and bake in 350 oven for 45 minutes.

The smell is driving everyone crazy.

Oh and I found a container of frozen homemade applesauce. I plan to put some in a container and take that and some of the stuffing to work for lunch. Yummmy!

BOOK REPORT:
I have SO many books that today I was idly cruising through the shelves downstairs and picked one up and browsed a bit. I gradually dawned on me that I. HAD. NEVER. READ. IT. !! Well!

"The Pleasure Trap" By Elizabeth Thornton" Set in Regency England (for you who failed history, Regency period is when King George III of Revolutionary War fame was declared incompetent and his son, George the Fourth, or Prinny was established as Regent).

Story involves a group of women who write Gothic novels and romance. They all have pseudonyms. Some one named Angelo is writing short stories about thinly disguised tragedies amongst the nobility. The nobility is alarmed.

My main character,Eve Dearing writing as Mrs. Barrymore, has dreams that seem to be coming true. Ash Denison is investigating Angelo. He thinks Eve Dearing is also Angelo. Hmm, not so. So much suspicion and a little bit of romance. I'm only up to page 127 and Ash has given Eve her first ever kiss.

Well, she was wearing a red satin dress, what is a red blooded Brit to do? I ax youse.

2 comments:

carla said...

Do you have a pantry full of black olives?

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is one food item that we do not let become to low. If I had small kid size fingers, I would put one on each finger and nibble the olives right off.
Olives, I has it.